Posted to user@tuscany.apache.org by ESSOUSSI Mohamed Habib <Mo...@telecom-sudparis.eu> on 2012/01/16 09:16:59 UTC

Is META-INF/sca-contribution.xml needed when running Tuscany standalone without SCA Domain

Good day,

I am beginner in Tuscany SCA, I would like to ask you some questions
about its architecture.

1. I am wondering if the file META-INF/sca-contribution.xml is
compulsory when running Tuscany standalone without SCA Domain? Because
in several defintions of the term "contribution", it's mentionned that
these SCA artifacts are only needed for the SCA Domain.

2. In my applications, I don't use neither SCA Domain nor
sca-contribution.xml and that works fine withtout (my contributions are
absolutely independants) !
What's the usefulness of an SCA Domain then ? why would we need a SCA
Domain ?

3. Can I host distrubuted contributions,composites etc... within a same
SCA Domain? or they should all be local ? if local, then again, what
would be the usefulness? :)

Thanks a lot
Yours
--

	*ESSOUSSI Mohamed Habib *
TELECOM SudParis

RE: Is META-INF/sca-contribution.xml needed when running Tuscany standalone without SCA Domain

Posted by "Millies, Sebastian" <Se...@softwareag.com>.
with regard to your first question: my understanding is that you’ll need sca-contribution.xml
when you have interdependent contributions. For example, when contribution A has a component
which you want to include in a composite that sits in contribution B (using implementation.composite),
you’ll need to export/import the namespace of A.

Also, the SDo-databinding will pick up type definitions from XSD-files only if these files are mentioned in
sca-contribution.xml.

n  Sebastian

[...]

IDS Scheer Consulting GmbH
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Kamyar Niroumand, Ivo Totev
Sitz/Registered office: Altenkesseler Straße 17, 66115 Saarbrücken, Germany - Registergericht/Commercial register: Saarbrücken HRB 19681
http://www.softwareag.com

Re: Is META-INF/sca-contribution.xml needed when running Tuscany standalone without SCA Domain

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.
Johannes Stoye wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I don't know the answer for your first question, but a domain is like a
> logical connection of multiple server, cluster and other instances of them.
> So you only must manage the domain not every part of it. Imagine you
> have one server in Russia and one in Germany and not the possibility to
> create a virtual LAN but you can connect them to one domain and you must
> not care about the connection between them (SCA cares about) .
> Hope this helps a bit.
> Johannes Stoye
>
> 2012/1/16 ESSOUSSI Mohamed Habib <Mohamed.Essoussi@telecom-sudparis.eu
> <ma...@telecom-sudparis.eu>>
>
>     Good day,
>
>     I am beginner in Tuscany SCA, I would like to ask you some questions
>     about its architecture.
>
>     1. I am wondering if the file META-INF/sca-contribution.xml is
>     compulsory when running Tuscany standalone without SCA Domain?
>     Because in several defintions of the term "contribution", it's
>     mentionned that these SCA artifacts are only needed for the SCA Domain.
>
>     2. In my applications, I don't use neither SCA Domain nor
>     sca-contribution.xml and that works fine withtout (my contributions
>     are absolutely independants) !
>     What's the usefulness of an SCA Domain then ? why would we need a
>     SCA Domain ?

When you run Tuscany, there is always an SCA domain.  If you don't create a
domain explicitly because you don't need distributed execution (as described
by Johannes above), the Tuscany runtime will create a default standalone
domain containing a single execution node, and your contributions will be
loaded into this domain.

>     3. Can I host distrubuted contributions,composites etc... within a
>     same SCA Domain? or they should all be local ? if local, then again,
>     what would be the usefulness? :)

An important feature of SCA is that a developer can create composites and
contributions without knowing/deciding whether they will be deployed as
part of a distributed domain or run locally in a standalone domain.

Even if the intended deployment environment is a distributed domain, it's
very useful to be able to do unit testing of the same contributions in a
local standalone domain.

   Simon

Posted by Johannes Stoye <jo...@googlemail.com>.
Hello,