Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Keith Stevenson <kt...@homer.louisville.edu> on 1997/09/16 00:30:03 UTC

suexec/1138: suExec uses too much privilege to do its logging

>Number:         1138
>Category:       suexec
>Synopsis:       suExec uses too much privilege to do its logging
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
suExec logs with root privilege.  This could allow a misconfigured binary to
do some serious damage to the operating system.
>How-To-Repeat:
According to Jason Dour this behavior is by design.
>Fix:
I suggest that suExec fork a sub-process to do the actual logging.
The sub-process should change its uid to be that of the uid running the httpd
before creating/appending to the suExec log file.
I realize that this is more work on the programming side, but it would make
the suExec module safer to run