Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> on 2016/05/26 07:42:59 UTC

2.0 Code Freeze or branching 2.1?

Hey all,

last night on IRC Bob brought up a good point: we have ongoing
development going into our repos while we are trying to get 2.0 out the
door. It might be time to split these two.

Bob suggested a code freeze until we ship a first 2.0 beta. An
alternative would be to branch out 2.x.x and stabilise that, port any
fixes to master, where regular development can occur there.

Both alternatives have their pros and cons, but I like the aspect of a
code freeze that forces everyone to help get the release build stable.

That said, I fear that most folks would then just commit to their
personal or other corporate repos (hello Cloudant) and only sync to ASF
repos when the freeze is over, and not help out with the build.

E.g. I don’t want to force anyone into anything they don’t want to do
with an arbitrary policy, but I’d be in support of a code freeze if
people here would signal that it’d help them focus on a stable build
as opposed to new feature development.

What do you think?

Best
Jan

Re: 2.0 Code Freeze or branching 2.1?

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
For 2991, removing the ability to rename that db gets my +1. It, like _replicator, should be the same everywhere. It's only configurable so the test suite can use different (random) ones for each test.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.