Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> on 2019/06/14 16:43:57 UTC

AutoUpdate and Installer hard-coded versions?!

Hi,

I've cloned the release task list for 11.0 to 11.1 and started
revising what needs to be done.  Ideally given our faster release
schedule it would be good to move to everything being configurable in
the build.  I'm intrigued why we need to keep hard coding release
versions in the AutoUpdate and Installer classes?!

eg. from https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-2677

nb/o.n.upgrader/src/org/netbeans/upgrade/AutoUpgrade.java
nb/autoupdate.pluginimporter/src/org/netbeans/modules/autoupdate/pluginimporter/Installer.java

Given we probably don't need to support import from versions prior to
7.2 any more, can we not list and sort available directories and pick
the first one less than our current version automatically now?  What
would be the pros and cons of that change?

Incidentally, I'm planning on treading lightly for NB11.1 so would
probably make that a PR early for NB11.2.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: AutoUpdate and Installer hard-coded versions?!

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 at 17:47, Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> wrote:

> There's reasons for that. Jirka will explain, I confess I keep
> forgetting/not completely understanding this part.

Well, I assumed there was. :-)

I've made a PR adding 11.0 here -
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/1302  It's right this change
goes in master rather than just in the release branch, right?

In future I would have thought this change should happen when we open
the merge window for the next release?

I wonder if the reason is about not listing files or not having access
to the version number?  If the former, it would also be easy to
generate the list to search.  If the latter, then something to look at
fixing.  Either way, in NB11.2 though!

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
There's reasons for that. Jirka will explain, I confess I keep
forgetting/not completely understanding this part.

Gj