Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Sh...@lotus.com on 2001/04/17 18:08:07 UTC

[VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files

I propose a new xml.apache.org/xml-commons subproject to fulfill the need
for a central repository for various XML standards-based files and common
tools.

COMMITTERS-PLEASE-VOTE! Although I'm not sure of the exact voting procedure
for creating whole new subprojects, I'm hoping to see a bunch of +1's to
start with; feel free to either reply-to or use the handy mini-xml ballot
below.

NON-COMMITTERS-PLEASE-DISCUSS! While votes from non-committers are not
binding your discussion and insights are very valuable!

Key: committer="your_apache_login" email="your@preferred.email.address"
  Leave committer blank if you aren't; vote must be +1 | 0 | -1
  Add comment(s) if you like on specific issues

<ballot committer="" email="">
  <vote issue="xml-subproject-proposal-commons-v1.1" vote
  <vote issue="xml-subproject-proposal-commons-v1.1-committers" vote
</ballot>

<xml-subproject-proposal-commons-v1.1>
Proposal: form a new xml.apache.org subproject called xml-commons to
fulfill the below needs.

(0) Rationale:
Many xml.apache.org projects use and ship with sets of similar
externally-defined standards-based code; differences in versioning and
configuration of this code often make developing and using our projects
more difficult.  A common place for all xml.apache.org projects to get DOM,
SAX, JAXP, and other externally-defined code would be a fairly low-cost and
low-maintenance way to alleviate these difficulties.  Having a subproject
and a community focused on cross-xml-subproject issues will also help drive
better cross-project coordination and tooling.

(0.1) Programming Languages: While the coding details of Java/C/Perl/etc
are obviously different, the core concept is the same: a central repository
for all xml.apache.org projects to share common interfaces and utilities.
We should start with xml-commons/java, xml-commons/c, and xml-commons/perl
since these languages are in current use in various xml.apache.org
subprojects today.

(1) Scope of this subproject:

(1.1) Common externally-defined standards:
This includes the packages: org.w3c.dom.**, org.xml.sax.**, and javax.xml.
**  This is designed to essentially be an xml.apache.org-specific holding
place for commonly-used interfaces/headers that are created outside of
Apache.  This subproject should provide guidelines and build scripts to aid
xml.apache.org groups to easily use these common files in a common manner
across all subprojects.  This subproject should provide some basic
versioning abilities so that xml.apache.org projects temporarily using
new/beta/updated/proposed versions of these specs can continue to get their
code from this area.

(1.2) Common xml-oriented utilities:
We should also include additional utilities/common code in this subproject,
like current copies of bsf.jar, stylebook, servlet API classes, etc.  This
could also include code that did originate in an Apache project, that we
wanted to centralize the use of: SystemIDResolver, XML Serializers, etc.

(1.3) General project starting guidelines for future directions/scope:
While the details of guidelines for this work should be finalized by the
community that forms it (along with input from the other xml.apache.org
projects who will be using this code), there are some basics to start with:
- Communicate status regularly with general@xml.apache.org and with other
subprojects
- Clearly document and checkin 'best practices' for usage of xml-commons
code in other subprojects
- Proactively work with other subprojects to implement and improve our
'best practices'
- Provide upgrade paths and help; deprecate (or equivalent) old API's
before removing, so other subprojects have ample time to upgrade.
- Test and document all non-standards-based code; provide tests/additional
documentation for standards-based code

(1.4) General guidelines for future directions/scope:
Note this is firstly a subproject to make life inside of xml.apache.org
easier, to enable us to more efficiently develop nifty XML projects.  As we
gain experience in developing this subproject, an obvious future direction
for this community will be to work on a potential AXDK (Apache XML
Development Kit) that would be a meta-packaging-project composed out of
several xml projects together.  The AXDK would be a way to make life for
end-users easier: a single package of various Apache XML tools that works
'out of the box'. (AXDK naming credit to kellyc I think?)

(1.5) Interaction with other subprojects
Additional guidelines can be drawn up on general@xml.apache.org for this
subproject, and then documented and checked in.  These should include both
how other xml subprojects should use these resources in their development
cycles, as well as how all xml subprojects should package these resources
when creating public, shipped distributions (to avoid version conflicts,
etc.)  This subproject's community, along with general@xml.apache.org, will
need to draw up guidelines for code within this subproject as well.

(2) Identify the initial source from which the subproject is to be
populated:
Standards-based sources would be obtained from the relevant owners/creators
and checked into the project repository. A basic build.xml file and apache
project usage guidelines would need to be created.  Possible legal review
would be needed for licensed files (one solution might be to waive the
Apache license on these files).  For common xml-oriented utilities, the
initial sources can be moved in from other xml.apache.org subprojects (cf.
potential org.apache.xml.utils.SystemIdResolver from xml-xalan).

(3) Identify the xml.apache.org resources to be created

(3.1) mailing list(s)
xml-commons-dev

(3.2) CVS repositories
xml-commons

(3.3) Bugzilla
program: Commons
components: External Standards, Common XML Utils

<xml-subproject-proposal-commons-v1.1-committers>
A sub-issue that I'd like people to vote on separately for whichever of the
below option(s) they like best.
(4) Identify the initial set of committers

(4.a) [vote-multiple] kellyc, curcuru, rubys
(4.b) [vote-multiple] one committer from each xml.apache.org subproject
that wants to volunteer, plus at least one PMC member (for projects that
don't get someone volunteered)
(4.c) [vote-multiple] all current xml.apache.org committers

</xml-subproject-proposal-commons-v1.1-committers>

</xml-subproject-proposal-commons-v1.1>

(*) Important cross-reference:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/index.html
Jakarta is currently working on a similar, yet different, tool/util/common
code area.  While we can steal a lot of their ideas, I think the needs of
xml.apache.org will be different than Jakarta, so we should make our own
community decision on how to do this.  Many thanks to the nice format for a
proposal that I plagarized.  8-)

- Shane <sh...@lotus.com> <cu...@apache.org>

Re: [VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Ditto, Arnaud.

+1 and 4c.

Re: [VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.
Shane_Curcuru@lotus.com wrote:

> I propose a new xml.apache.org/xml-commons subproject to fulfill the need
> for a central repository for various XML standards-based files and common
> tools.

+1

> (4) Identify the initial set of committers
>
> (4.a) [vote-multiple] kellyc, curcuru, rubys
> (4.b) [vote-multiple] one committer from each xml.apache.org subproject
> that wants to volunteer, plus at least one PMC member (for projects that
> don't get someone volunteered)
> (4.c) [vote-multiple] all current xml.apache.org committers

4.c
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - IBM Cupertino, XML Strategy Group

Re: [VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files

Posted by Martin Stricker <sh...@gmx.de>.
Scott Sanders wrote:
> I am a committer over in jakarta land, involved with jakarta-commons,
> and I think that you guys have at least some overlap with the
> jakarta-commons idea.
>
> Is it possible to see any sort of cooperation over this, like a
> commons.apache.org  rather than a jakarta-commons and a xml-commons?

Has it's pros and cons: Having a apache-wide commons repository
certainly is a goo idea. But we should not put too much things in there
but instead have commons-projects in each part of *.apache.org, too. If
we habe only one central commons repository this might get *huge* so
searching for the needed code can bet difficult, which will lead to not
using the commons repository in certain cases. I think the central
apache.org commons repository should contain only code which is used (or
is likely to be used in the future) by more than one *.apache.org. Code
which is used only by a signle *.apache.org should stay in their commons
repository. This has worked fine for me in past and present. This
approach would address your jakarta-xml.apache.org crossover.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker

Re: [VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files

Posted by Scott Sanders <sa...@totalsync.com>.
+1. Comments below

> (0.1) Programming Languages: While the coding details of Java/C/Perl/etc
> are obviously different, the core concept is the same: a central repository
> for all xml.apache.org projects to share common interfaces and utilities.
> We should start with xml-commons/java, xml-commons/c, and xml-commons/perl
> since these languages are in current use in various xml.apache.org
> subprojects today.

Don't forget xml-commons/xml and xml-commons/xsl ;-)

> (*) Important cross-reference:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/index.html
> Jakarta is currently working on a similar, yet different, tool/util/common
> code area.  While we can steal a lot of their ideas, I think the needs of
> xml.apache.org will be different than Jakarta, so we should make our own
> community decision on how to do this.  Many thanks to the nice format for a
> proposal that I plagarized.  8-)

I am a committer over in jakarta land, involved with jakarta-commons,
and I think that you guys have at least some overlap with the
jakarta-commons idea.

Is it possible to see any sort of cooperation over this, like a
commons.apache.org  rather than a jakarta-commons and a xml-commons?

I think that even if there is some overlap, that the jakarta and xml
communities coming together to create a common 'commons' would be a
strength for both sides, with no weaknesses.

For example, at jakarta-commons, we are currently working on xml -> java
mapping code, which obviously has overlap with what you guys have here.
  I think the more we can get the two camps talking, the more common
code can be found.  Another example is the collections project, which is
trying to aggregate all of the Java Collections API extensions that
various projects have made.  I am sure that xerces, xalan, cocoon, fop,
etc have some of these.

With that, I would like to volunteer, as an initial committer if
possible, and try to be an ambassador between xml-commons and
jakarta-commons, if we can't get both to come together ;-)

Scott Sanders

Re: [VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files

Posted by Thierry Kormann <tk...@sophia.inria.fr>.
> I propose a new xml.apache.org/xml-commons subproject to fulfill the need
> for a central repository for various XML standards-based files and common
> tools.

+1

Thierry.

Re: [VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files

Posted by Edwin Goei <Ed...@sun.com>.
Shane_Curcuru@lotus.com wrote:

> I propose a new xml.apache.org/xml-commons subproject to fulfill the need
> for a central repository for various XML standards-based files and common
> tools.

+1

> <xml-subproject-proposal-commons-v1.1-committers>
> A sub-issue that I'd like people to vote on separately for whichever of the
> below option(s) they like best.
> (4) Identify the initial set of committers
>
> (4.a) [vote-multiple] kellyc, curcuru, rubys
> (4.b) [vote-multiple] one committer from each xml.apache.org subproject
> that wants to volunteer, plus at least one PMC member (for projects that
> don't get someone volunteered)
> (4.c) [vote-multiple] all current xml.apache.org committers
>
> </xml-subproject-proposal-commons-v1.1-committers>

I vote for the least restrictive option, 4.c.

-Edwin

Re: [VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files

Posted by Tinny Ng <tn...@ca.ibm.com>.
+1, and  4c

Tinny Ng

Re: [VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
+1, and  4c

Re: [VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files

Posted by Elena Litani <el...@apache.org>.
Shane_Curcuru@lotus.com wrote:

> I propose a new xml.apache.org/xml-commons subproject to fulfill the need
> for a central repository for various XML standards-based files and common
> tools.
+1

> (4.c) [vote-multiple] all current xml.apache.org committers
+1

Elena.

Re: [VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files

Posted by Martin Stricker <sh...@gmx.de>.
Andy Clark wrote:

> James Melton wrote:
> > the commons area, but I would tend to think that no one should
> > change the external code that _is_ included in commons.
>
> What if the foreign code is broken? For example: various bugs
> in previous releases of SAX. But we should definitely *avoid*
> changing outside code.

Umm, good point, Andy. So external code might have to be changed, but
these changes *must* be well documented (something like a
changes_made.txt in the main directory of the code), and any of our
applications that depend on this changed code must tell this in their
readme or installation documentation.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Star Trek Rollenspiel: http://www.uss-republic.de/
Webmaster-Forum: http://www.masterportal24.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.cgi

Re: [VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, James Melton wrote:

> It seems like there may be a good reason to allow external code not in
> the commons area, but I would tend to think that no one should change
> the external code that _is_ included in commons. Should that just be
> understood by everyone or should it be formalized? perhaps by reducing
> the committer list for this portion of the code? Is anyone worried about
> having a large list of committers for code which should seldom change?

Not a bit.

CVS generates automatic messages and we are supposed to review them, and
we can roll back if needed. Most "new" commiters do ask ( a lot ) before
changing something, and "old" commiters probably know what they're doing.

Costin

Re: [VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files

Posted by James Melton <ja...@cylogix.com>.
It seems like there may be a good reason to allow external code not in
the commons area, but I would tend to think that no one should change
the external code that _is_ included in commons. Should that just be
understood by everyone or should it be formalized? perhaps by reducing
the committer list for this portion of the code? Is anyone worried about
having a large list of committers for code which should seldom change?

Jim (who has come from some very restrictive development environments).

Posted by Martin Stricker <sh...@gmx.de>.
Kelly Campbell wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 12:40:15AM +0200, Martin Stricker wrote:
>
> > Addition to <xml-subproject-proposal-commons-v1.1>:
> > (1.1) Common externally-defined standards
> > All xml.apache.org projects/subprojects should take the
> > apache-external code they need *only* from xml-commons! This means
> > if one project needs a piece of code it has to be added to
> > xml-commons! Apache-external code has to stay unchanged!
>
> I disagree with this Martin. There will probably be some external code
> which only applies to one project, and will probably only ever apply to
> that one project. An example is the Jimi imaging library in FOP. If
> for some reason, the thirdparty code is used by another project at a
> later time, it them becomes a candidate for xml-commons.

Point taken. I think putting all external code in xml-commons/external
would provide better versioning and would bring the used code into the
mind of other projects who might discover something they could use.

> If thirdparty code must stay unchanged, how do we ever go forward? I
> agree that in specific cases such as java interfaces, we have to be
> very careful about what gets changed. The DOM api's come to mind here
> :-) Unfortunately the only way to add new methods to an interface
> maintaining backwards compatibility is to give the new interface a
> whole new name.

That's the reason why I always implement changes to foreign code in my
own code, never in the foreign code. It also makes updates to newer
versions of that foreign code easier - and people who already have
installed this code don't need to install it again. I prefer a clean way
of coding. It is more difficult in the first place but will keep much
trouble away later. ;-)) Also changing foreign code and redistribute it
might be difficult due to licensing issues (I'm not an attorney so I
don't know for sure, and US laws are quite different from German
laws...)

> > - A styleguide? This would involve "pretty-printing" of the code
> > (how much indention, indenting with spaces or tabulators, what to
> > indent, do curly brackets get a line of their own...) This could
> > ease the readability of our code, but I'm not sure if this much of
> > reglementation is appropriate for an open source project. ;-))
>
> That's opening a religious can of worms :-) The general recommendation
> is to follow Sun's coding conventions for Java:
> http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConvTOC.doc.html

I know it's "religious" but it has to be discussed. I can live with or
without a styleguide because both approaches have their benefits and
drawbacks. Using Sun's conventions seems like enough common ground to
not getting totally confused. ;-))

> Tabbing vs. spaces is an editor issue since most editors do it
> differently.

It can even get a problem on some platforms (I ran into this while using
IBM's Net.Data macros (it comes with their DB2 database), on Windows
tabs worked fine but on OS/390 the macros crashed. Replacing tabs with
spaces fixed it). So we'll have to be careful.

> I find most code readable unless it's just packed too tightly
> together, or is one of those obfuscated C contest programs :-)

They're easy. Try obfuscated Perl scripts! ;-)))))

Best regards,
Martin Stricker

Re: [VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files

Posted by Kelly Campbell <ca...@merlot.channelpoint.com>.
On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 12:40:15AM +0200, Martin Stricker wrote:

> Addition to <xml-subproject-proposal-commons-v1.1>:
> (1.1) Common externally-defined standards
> All xml.apache.org projects/subprojects should take the apache-external
> code they need *only* from xml-commons! This means if one project needs
> a piece of code it has to be added to xml-commons!
> Apache-external code has to stay unchanged!

I disagree with this Martin. There will probably be some external code
which only applies to one project, and will probably only ever apply to
that one project. An example is the Jimi imaging library in FOP. (Side
note: what are the legalities of distributing things under a different
license that isn't the apache license, but allows the same type of
flexibility?) If for some reason, the thirdparty code is used by another
project at a later time, it them becomes a candidate for xml-commons.

If thirdparty code must stay unchanged, how do we ever go forward? I agree
that in specific cases such as java interfaces, we have to be very careful
about what gets changed. The DOM api's come to mind here :-) Unfortunately
the only way to add new methods to an interface maintaining backwards
compatibility is to give the new interface a whole new name.

> - A styleguide? This would involve "pretty-printing" of the code (how
> much indention, indenting with spaces or tabulators, what to indent, do
> curly brackets get a line of their own...) This could ease the
> readability of our code, but I'm not sure if this much of reglementation
> is appropriate for an open source project. ;-))

That's opening a religious can of worms :-) The general recommendation is
to follow Sun's coding conventions for Java:
http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConvTOC.doc.html

Tabbing vs. spaces is an editor issue since most editors do it
differently.

But not everyone does for everything, including myself.

I find most code readable unless it's just packed too tightly together, or
is one of those obfuscated C contest programs :-)

-Kelly
--
Kelly A. Campbell              Software Engineer
<ca...@merlotxml.org>           ChannelPoint, Inc.

Re: [VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files

Posted by Martin Stricker <sh...@gmx.de>.
Shane_Curcuru@lotus.com wrote:

<ballot committer="" email="shugal@gmx.de">
  <vote issue="xml-subproject-proposal-commons-v1.1" vote="+1">
    <comment>A good and necessary idea! I'd like to contribute here.
     Also see below.</comment>
  </vote>
  <vote issue="xml-subproject-proposal-commons-v1.1-committers"
   vote="4.b or 4.a">
    <comment>I'm no committer, but I think we should get the
     number of committers low at least a this initial stage. Everyone is
     free to contribute code to one of the actual committers who will
     check it into CVS if they think it's useful.</comment>
  </vote>
</ballot>

Addition to <xml-subproject-proposal-commons-v1.1>:
(1.1) Common externally-defined standards
All xml.apache.org projects/subprojects should take the apache-external
code they need *only* from xml-commons! This means if one project needs
a piece of code it has to be added to xml-commons!
Apache-external code has to stay unchanged!

(1.3) General project starting guidelines for future directions/scope:
- Sample files for every kind of file (*.c, *.java, *.pm ...) so it is
assured all files contain the proper license etc.
- A styleguide? This would involve "pretty-printing" of the code (how
much indention, indenting with spaces or tabulators, what to indent, do
curly brackets get a line of their own...) This could ease the
readability of our code, but I'm not sure if this much of reglementation
is appropriate for an open source project. ;-))

(3.1) mailing list(s)
xml-commons-cvs
I like getting all the changes automatically! Sadly enough for now such
lists exist for fop and xalan only. :-(

Best regards,
Martin Stricker

Re: [VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>.

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 Shane_Curcuru@lotus.com wrote:

> I propose a new xml.apache.org/xml-commons subproject to fulfill the need
> for a central repository for various XML standards-based files and common
> tools.
> COMMITTERS-PLEASE-VOTE! Although I'm not sure of the exact voting procedure
> for creating whole new subprojects, I'm hoping to see a bunch of +1's to
> start with; feel free to either reply-to or use the handy mini-xml ballot
> below.

No worries - This is the right approach. Anyone can propose projects - and
general@ is the right place (with perhaps a Cc/warning to the appropriate
existing lists which are potentially affected).

What makes a project fly are a couple of things

-	People behind it; to write code, manage CVS, manage
	mailing list, foster a comminity, do release engineering.
	-> this is really the responsiblity of the people driving it,
	(and your '+1' vote makes you a little part of that :-)

-	If there is overlap or interaction with other projects -
	some consensus amongst all involved that there are no
	conflicts and that any fragementing of the developer
	base and other collateral damage is overcome by better
	focus or synergy. I.e. the whole XML project needs to
	be a little better afterwards.
	-> this is something for everyone to flag - and for the PMC
	to bear in mind.

-	The project needs to fit within the charter and scope of the
	XML project - which is to provide commercial-quality
	standards-based XML  solutions that are developed in an open and
	cooperative fashion, to provide feedback to standards bodies (such
	as IETF and W3C) from an implementation perspective, and  to be a
	focus for XML-related activities within Apache projects
	-> and this is something where you run into the ASF board  when
	you grossly overstep those bounds.

When proposing a new project (and preferably before calling a vote) make
sure that you have a list of 3-5 people who will sign on, who are the
initial commiters, mailing list managers, etc,etc. As that is what the PMC
needs to carry things further, get the logistics done etc.

Dw

RE: [VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files

Posted by Peter Murphy <pe...@fast.fujitsu.com.au>.

Which is where I come in. :)

> (0.1) Programming Languages: While the coding details of Java/C/Perl/etc
> are obviously different, the core concept is the same: a central
> repository
> for all xml.apache.org projects to share common interfaces and utilities.
> We should start with xml-commons/java, xml-commons/c, and xml-commons/perl
> since these languages are in current use in various xml.apache.org
> subprojects today.
>

> (1) Scope of this subproject:
>
> (1.1) Common externally-defined standards:
> This includes the packages: org.w3c.dom.**, org.xml.sax.**, and javax.xml.
> **  This is designed to essentially be an xml.apache.org-specific holding
> place for commonly-used interfaces/headers that are created outside of
> Apache.  This subproject should provide guidelines and build
> scripts to aid xml.apache.org groups to easily use these common files
> in a common manner across all subprojects.

I have a fair idea of what Java is going into xml-commons; but I haven't
heard too many discussions concerning C++. Does anyone know which C++
classes may become common to all Apache - or is it too soon to ask?

Regards,
Peter.

Re: [VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
A big +1 for the proposal.

+1 for 4.d - all current xml.apache.org and jakarta.apache.org :-)
( that with the hope that jakarta-commons will reciprocate and be open as
for xml commiters )
( but I can settle for 4.c :-)

Costin

Posted by Martin Stricker <sh...@gmx.de>.
Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> Looks like a very good inititiative; just some general points/reminders:
>
> 1-      It is easy and good to create such sub projects - but they
>         need to be staffed. People need not to be only behind it, but
>         also actively work on it.
>
> 2-      Generally, (and historically in the httpd workd - where those
>         voting things come from) if you give something a '+1' (rather
>         than silence, a 0 or  a +0) you are expected to carry some of
>         the burder of what you voted for - and some responsibility
>         for keeping that project alive.
>
> So think carefully as to where you want things to go. Each extra
> components meeds a thinning of the pool of developers, not only to
> work on code, but also building, qa, testing and release engineering.

'm willing to help - just tell me how since I'm not a committer.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker

Re: [VOTE] Proposal: new xml-commons subproject for standards-based files

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>.

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.

<ballot committer="arved" email="asandstrom@accesswave.ca">
  <vote issue="xml-subproject-proposal-commons-v1.1" vote="+1">
    <comment/>
  </vote>
  <vote issue="xml-subproject-proposal-commons-v1.1-committers"
    vote="+1">
    <comment>4.(c)</comment>
  </vote>
</ballot>