Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com> on 2013/06/19 15:39:52 UTC

Re: FXGImage class

  This email got sent to me personally; but I thought I would respond
publicly for everyone to see.

Hi Bryan,

  Comments are in-line

On 6/19/2013 3:42 AM, Bryan Bontilao wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Can I use your FXGIMage class for commercial use? I want to use it in
> my mobile application development. Just wondering if I can use it for
> commercial use?

  All code that you find in the Apache Flex repository should be
licensed under the Apache 2.0 License (
http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html ); and the FXGImage
class is no exception.  My understanding of that license is that, yes
you can use it in a commercial product.  I believe you could even take
the code and sell it; so long as you do so in a way that doesn't violate
Apache Trademarks.  I am not a lawyer, so you are more than welcome to
review the license with your own lawyers.

  The FXGImage class was added to the Apache Flex Repository in my
Whiteboard back when we were still on SVN.  I assume that old whiteboard
location is still accessible somehow.

  In terms of the specific FXGImage class; I think it is horribly
named.  If you just want to use it for an FXG element; why would you
choose this class over a SpriteVisualElement?  I'm embarrassed to admit
I built the class before someone told me that SpriteVisualElement will
do the same thing.  I did not do an in depth comparison, though.

  However, I think the class is great if you want to use a Flash Pro
generated asset inside of a Flex app.  If memory serves me; it can
easily handle issues when "resizing" the asset at runtime.

  [On a personal note; I'd love to know what you're using it for]

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur