Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Arun C Murthy <ac...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2010/08/02 20:47:12 UTC

Re: Data World Record Falls as Computer Scientists Break Terabyte Sort Barrier

The UCSD results are very impressive, especially given their hardware
budget.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there were no Hadoop based entries
this year - I know we at Yahoo! didn't enter.

Couple of points:
# The Indy category is a benchmark to sort fixed length records, not a
_general_ sort benchmark i.e. Daytona.
# Our _best_ result missed the deadline by a whisker last year, but we
eventually did 100Tb sort in 95 mins and a 1000TB (1PB) in 975 mins
(16.25 hrs) - which worked out to be just over 1.0 TB/min, which was
nearly twice as fast as the record attributed to us. (http://developer.yahoo.net/blogs/hadoop/2009/05/hadoop_sorts_a_petabyte_in_162.html
)

Arun

Posted by Jeff Hammerbacher <ha...@cloudera.com>.
You might recognize the name of the person who filed HDFS-347 from the press
release about the new sorting world record...

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Abhishek Verma <ve...@gmail.com>.