Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Norris Shelton <no...@yahoo.com> on 2004/11/18 20:05:02 UTC

Realm using LOTS of DB connections

We have the manager app for each of our contexts set-up to use
the DB to authenticate users.  Unfortunately, it is using TONS
of connections.  Over an 8 min period, it used 1200 connections.
 We have 2 boxes, each with 16 contexts with their own manager
context.  Here is what the manager context of each of them looks
like:
          <Context docBase="../../server/webapps/manager"
path="/manager"
                privileged="true">

              <Realm
className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
                         digest="MD5"

driverName="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"

connectionURL="jdbc:oracle:thin:@myhost.com:myport:mydb"
                 connectionName="tomcatmgr"
connectionPassword="password"
                      userTable="user_table"
userNameCol="ss_user_id" userCredCol="ss_password"
                  userRoleTable="role_table"
roleNameCol="tomcat_role" />

              <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteAddrValve"
                         allow="10\.11\.\d+\.\d+,127\.0\.0\.1"/>
          </Context>

Is this normal?  Is there a way to throttle it?

=====

Norris Shelton
Software Engineer
Sun Certified Java 1.1 Programmer
Appriss, Inc.
ICQ# 26487421
AIM NorrisEShelton
YIM norrisshelton

Re: Realm using LOTS of DB connections

Posted by Norris Shelton <no...@yahoo.com>.
I would like to, but we are not "allowed" to use pooling yet.

=====

Posted by Seth Ladd <se...@ehawaii.gov>.

Posted by Gabriel Belingueres <be...@gmail.com>.
May be you should try using a DataSourceRealm, so that connections
could be pooled by DBCP.

Posted by Norris Shelton <no...@yahoo.com>.
OK, we figured it out.  Someone was using the connection to
monitoring.  This monitoring took 24 hits every 3 seconds across
all of our websites.

Thx for your assistance.

Posted by Norris Shelton <no...@yahoo.com>.