Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Martin Grogan <mg...@keizensoftware.com> on 2005/11/29 10:27:06 UTC

[DBCP] Beginner how-to

Hi all,
I'm a complete beginner with commons DBCP and unsure where to start. I
require connection pooling to increase performance of my web application.
All elements of my application are servlets (no EJB's, no JSP's) and for
each servlet, I basically do the old-fashioned thing...
1. Open connection to data source (mySQL)
2. Create statement
3. Execute a pile of queries
4. Close statement
5. Close connection
I am using Tomcat 5.0.28 and mysql-connector-java-3.1.8. We are not
using any dedicated web-server like Apache, just Tomcat.
Can anyone tell my what I need to do to start using connection pooling
in my applications? Maybe some sample servlet code, and server
configuration, JAR's I need, etc.
I'm basically an old ASP programmer that's picked up Java and now am
trying to do things the Java way.
Thanks,
Martin

Martin Grogan