Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com> on 2003/02/06 01:48:17 UTC

[VOTE] avalon-testlet CVS repository

Anyone still using anything from the avalon-testlet repository?

I propose we delete it and volunteer to do so.

(A rm -rf avalon-testlet/ in /home/cvs should do it, no?)

/LS

Re: [VOTE] avalon-testlet CVS repository

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Leo Sutic wrote:
> Anyone still using anything from the avalon-testlet repository?
>
> I propose we delete it and volunteer to do so.
>
> (A rm -rf avalon-testlet/ in /home/cvs should do it, no?)

/home/cvspublic too.  And ideally the .qmail file for cvs messages
should be nuked too.

- Sam Ruby

Re: [VOTE] avalon-testlet CVS repository

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Leo Sutic wrote:
>
>> Anyone still using anything from the avalon-testlet repository?
>>
>> I propose we delete it and volunteer to do so.
>>
>> (A rm -rf avalon-testlet/ in /home/cvs should do it, no?)
>

> Noone is still using it.

AKA +1

Re: [VOTE] avalon-testlet CVS repository

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Tar GZ it and get rid of the CVS overhead.  This code hasn't been
> touched in a long time, and JUnit has a better community around it.

+9

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: Tgz'ing testlet

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
wrote:
>> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
>>
>> Is there a public URL for that?
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/avalon-site/graveyard/avalon-testlet.t
> gz

Yes, I figured that much - and have actually changed out pointers to
that.  But something under avalon.apache.org would look better 8-)

> I imagine that the public URL will change to some
> http://avalon.apache.org/downloads/ URL.

I'll watch this list and change Ant's docs when you are ready.

Thanks

        Stefan

RE: Tgz'ing testlet

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
>
> On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
> wrote:
>
> > OK, it's done. It's in avalon-site/graveyard/
>
> Is there a public URL for that?

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/avalon-site/graveyard/avalon-testlet.t
gz

I still haven't built the website - despite helpful instructions
from Leo Simons - so I imagine that the public URL will change
to some http://avalon.apache.org/downloads/ URL. (Although the
one above will remain valid.)

/LS

Re: Tgz'ing testlet

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> OK, it's done. It's in avalon-site/graveyard/

Is there a public URL for that?

The reason I ask is that Ant has a <test> task for testlet that I'm
going to mark as deprectated.  But we still want to point people to
the testlet stuff if they really want to use it.

Thanks

        Stefan

RE: Tgz'ing testlet (was: RE: [VOTE] avalon-testlet CVS repository)

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.
OK, it's done. It's in avalon-site/graveyard/

I'll wait a week or so, and then rm -rf the stuff in
/home/cvs/avalon-testlet and /home/cvspublic/avalon-testlet.

I also nuked avalon-excalibur/microcontainer (wayyy overdue).

> From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@realityforge.org]
>
> yep. It is just different versions of ant

Thanks.

/LS

Re: Tgz'ing testlet (was: RE: [VOTE] avalon-testlet CVS repository)

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 07:43, Leo Sutic wrote:
> > From: Stephen McConnell [mailto:mcconnell@apache.org]
> >
> > >So, uh, where do we put the Tar GZ? In Avalon-site?
> >
> > avalon-site/graveyard
>
> The TGZ is 4MB originally. Most of this is due to the JARs
> in tools/lib/Attic/. Question: Can I simply delete this
> directory and all its contents without corrupting the CVS
> repository? That would bring the tgz down to ~74kb.

yep. It is just different versions of ant

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
                -- Voltaire

Tgz'ing testlet (was: RE: [VOTE] avalon-testlet CVS repository)

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Leo Sutic wrote:

>>From: news [mailto:news@main.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Berin Loritsch
>>
>>Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>>>Hmmm, but in CVS we still have code that is waaay older. I
>>>

>>don't think
>>

>>>it's necessary to delete it. We can alternatively move it to a
>>>"graveyard" CVS module or even tar.gz it.
>>>

>>Tar GZ it and get rid of the CVS overhead.  This code hasn't been
>>touched in a long time, and JUnit has a better community around it.
>>

>OK, that's three in favor (me, Nicola, Berin) and none against.
>
>So, uh, where do we put the Tar GZ? In Avalon-site?

avalon-site/graveyard

Steve.

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>
> Berin Loritsch wrote, On 06/02/2003 5.28:
> > Leo Sutic wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone still using anything from the avalon-testlet repository?
> >>
> >> I propose we delete it and volunteer to do so.
> >>
> >> (A rm -rf avalon-testlet/ in /home/cvs should do it, no?)
> >

> > Noone is still using it.
>
> Hmmm, but in CVS we still have code that is waaay older. I
> don't think
> it's necessary to delete it. We can alternatively move it to a
> "graveyard" CVS module or even tar.gz it.

Basically I'm against keeping old code around. Unless it is being
developed, is being used, it is just so much dead meat and should
be removed to increase the signal/noise ratio.

If we have older code in CVS, then perhaps that should be removed,
too. I doubt we have less used code in CVS, though.

+1 for .tgz 'ing it before removing it. Maybe we can have a download
of it, if we still have a single user left. A reasonable compromise.

(That'd be tar czvf ~/avalon-testlet.tgz avalon-testlet/   ?)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote, On 06/02/2003 5.28:
> Leo Sutic wrote:
>
>> Anyone still using anything from the avalon-testlet repository?
>>
>> I propose we delete it and volunteer to do so.
>>
>> (A rm -rf avalon-testlet/ in /home/cvs should do it, no?)
>

> Noone is still using it.

Hmmm, but in CVS we still have code that is waaay older. I don't think
it's necessary to delete it. We can alternatively move it to a
"graveyard" CVS module or even tar.gz it.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [VOTE] avalon-testlet CVS repository

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.