Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "TD - Sales International Holland B.V." <td...@salesint.com> on 2002/01/25 10:13:55 UTC

Paths

Hey there,

small question.... I didn't see much about this in the docs.... In the config
you set permissions for the directory / (not the URL /) I wonder why this is?
In my eyes if I set documentroot to for instance /var/www/HTML or something a
client should be able to get out of the /var/www/HTML or is it possible to
make a URL domain.tld/../../../ or something? I tried it on my server but
appearantly it redirects me because the ../../../ just falls of the URL.

Also I noticed something strange in the docs... don't exactly remember which
page. Anyways it was about user dirs. if you had (assuming standard locations
etc) domain.tld/~user you'd go to /home/user/public_html however in the docs
it said if you'd do domain.tld/~root you wouldn't go to /root/public_html but
to /public_html is that an error in the docs? I would suppose it'd go to
/root/public_html (just curious, i didn't compile the userdir mod anyways)

Regards

Re: Paths

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, TD - Sales International Holland B.V. wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> small question.... I didn't see much about this in the docs.... In the config
> you set permissions for the directory / (not the URL /) I wonder why this is?
> In my eyes if I set documentroot to for instance /var/www/HTML or something a
> client should be able to get out of the /var/www/HTML or is it possible to
> make a URL domain.tld/../../../ or something? I tried it on my server but
> appearantly it redirects me because the ../../../ just falls of the URL.

Properly functional webservers will not let you use ".." to get out of the
webspace.  The server administrator can, however, use symbolic links,
Aliases and other tricks to bring various parts of the filesystem into the
web space.  See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/urlmapping.html
The purpose of the <Directory /> section is to prevent the server
administrator from accidentally allowing access to an area that he didn't
want to, and to provide defaults for all the other areas of the server.

> Also I noticed something strange in the docs... don't exactly remember which
> page. Anyways it was about user dirs. if you had (assuming standard locations
> etc) domain.tld/~user you'd go to /home/user/public_html however in the docs
> it said if you'd do domain.tld/~root you wouldn't go to /root/public_html but
> to /public_html is that an error in the docs? I would suppose it'd go to
> /root/public_html (just curious, i didn't compile the userdir mod anyways)

That depends entirely on how root's home directory is configured in
/etc/passwd.

Joshua.