Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Yves Arsenault <yv...@carrefour.peicaps.org> on 2003/11/10 15:14:53 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache not displaying special characters

I've got RedHat 9 running with Apache 2.0.48.

This is what happens....
When I pull data from MySQL, all the characters such as "é" come out as
completly different characters... alot of text in this DB is french, so many
such characters are used.

I only have english language installed on this box. Could this be a problem?

One thing that I cannot figure out is that if I go into webmin and view
MySQL's data from there, everything seems to be perfect. The special
characters are all displayed as they should be.

Is there a setting somewhere in the apache config files that may cause this?

Thanks,

Yves

Re: [users@httpd] Apache not displaying special characters

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:14:53 -0400, Yves Arsenault wrote:

> When I pull data from MySQL, all the characters such as "é" come
> out as completly different characters...

This doesn't seem like an Apache problem, bur rather a script
problem...

What charset is the data stored in?
What charset have you specified in httpd.conf?
Do you set the charset header anywhere else?
What does your script/app/whatever do with the data in retrieves from
the database before sending it to the client?
Are you sending 8-bit or 7-bit data?
Does the HTTP-headers specify 8-bit data or not?

> One thing that I cannot figure out is that if I go into webmin and
> view MySQL's data from there, everything seems to be perfect.

That might be because webmin handles the data correctly while the
script/app/whatever you otherwise use doesn't.

> Is there a setting somewhere in the apache config files that may
> cause this?

If you have specified a charset in httpd.conf, and you don't change
this header in your script/app/whatever, and your script/app/whatever
send characters in another charset then the chars won't be displayed
correctly.

Same goes for content encoding.

Regards
/Jonas