Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by ga...@gsk.com on 2003/03/27 21:32:07 UTC

Very large queries?

Caveat:  I have not yet installed Lucerne or begun to experiment with it
yet.  I have scanned the FAQ, but don't see anything that addresses this
question.  Pardon the somewhat slow buildup to the question below, but I
want to set the context.

I am developing an application for 'text mining' adverse event reports in
the pharmaceutical industry.  The querying will be driven by
'dictionaries', 'thesauri',  'taxonomies' or 'ontologies' (pick your
favorite) of drug names, compounds, and medical conditions.  These thesauri
are quite large.  For example, our drug name thesaurus is on the order of
60,000+ terms.

I was planning on using Verity to accomplish my first approach to shallow
text mining since Verity is our corproate-wide search engine technology and
it supports a number of relevant features (including 'topic sets' for
representing the taxonomies).  However, Verity imposes restrictions on the
size of topic sets that currently prohibit me from using it with our large
taxonomies.  It is not obvious that they will be able to fix this problem
in the timeframe I need.  Thus I am turning to other alternatives, and
Lucerne appears to be one.

So given that context, my question is this:  Does anyone on this list have
experience attempting to use very large queries (potentially thousands or
tens of thousands of terms) in Lucerne?  Does anyone have any knowledge of
design or implementation details that would inhibit the use of such
queries?  Does anyone have any idea of what the performance would be like
in retrieving via such queries?

--------------------------------------
Gary H. Merrill
Director and Principal Scientist, New Applications
Data Exploration Sciences
GlaxoSmithKline Inc.
(919) 483-8456

Re: Very large queries?

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Gary,

I don't fully understand how you use your drug thesauri, but my approach
would to use your thesauri into an Analyzer.  This would allow you
during to coerce the various terms to single meanings, somewhat akin to
how a stemmer works.

As for size, we're currently using Lucene to index about 100 megs of
data, and lookup performance is blinding.  Indexing takes a while, but
that's as much because of how we calculate the 20+ fields we're indexing
on for each Document.

Can you give more specifics on the type of data you'd index, the query
you'd want to run, and the desired result of the query?

--
Serge Knystautas
President

Re: Very large queries?

Posted by Joshua O'Madadhain <jm...@ics.uci.edu>.
On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 gary.h.merrill@gsk.com wrote:

> Caveat:  I have not yet installed Lucerne or begun to experiment with it
> yet.  I have scanned the FAQ, but don't see anything that addresses this
> question.  Pardon the somewhat slow buildup to the question below, but I
> want to set the context.
>
> I am developing an application for 'text mining' adverse event reports in
> the pharmaceutical industry.  The querying will be driven by
> 'dictionaries', 'thesauri',  'taxonomies' or 'ontologies' (pick your
> favorite) of drug names, compounds, and medical conditions.  These thesauri
> are quite large.  For example, our drug name thesaurus is on the order of
> 60,000+ terms.

These terms are not equivalent, so it's not clear exactly what you mean
here.

> I was planning on using Verity to accomplish my first approach to shallow
> text mining since Verity is our corproate-wide search engine technology and
> it supports a number of relevant features (including 'topic sets' for
> representing the taxonomies).  However, Verity imposes restrictions on the
> size of topic sets that currently prohibit me from using it with our large
> taxonomies.  It is not obvious that they will be able to fix this problem
> in the timeframe I need.  Thus I am turning to other alternatives, and
> Lucerne appears to be one.
>
> So given that context, my question is this:  Does anyone on this list have
> experience attempting to use very large queries (potentially thousands or
> tens of thousands of terms) in Lucerne?  Does anyone have any knowledge of
> design or implementation details that would inhibit the use of such
> queries?  Does anyone have any idea of what the performance would be like
> in retrieving via such queries?

I do not have experience with such queries, so I can't speak to that
question directly.  However, I don't understand what the purpose of such a
query would be in the first place.  What are the documents that you are
indexing, and what information need are you trying to address?

Regards,

Joshua O'Madadhain

 It's that moment of dawning comprehension that I live for--Bill Watterson

RE: Very large queries?

Posted by Alex Murzaku <li...@lissus.com>.
Is this some kind of topic categorization in which you "query" the
taxonomy with documents? If yes, I have done something similar with
e-mail categorization and it worked fine (even though it sounds like
abuse). Also, you could decrease the number of query terms by submitting
only the list of unique terms and corresponding frequencies as weights.