Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2002/03/20 21:51:43 UTC

[very OT] RE: Spelling?

Actually, there are many different stories about this. My
English teacher told me the tidbit you mention is actually
part of urban legend. If he's right, I guess no-one really
knows.

Societies being wide apart led to all kinds of different
languages in the first place (if you don't buy the biblical
view, that is). The US and the UK being a several-week
journey apart supposedly led to most of the differences.

I really like Bill Bryson's book on the subject, even though
he is, as always, given to more than a little exaggeration.

and them say all those programmers don't talk 'bout nothin'
but 'puters!

cheers,

- LSD