Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "Steele, Raymond" <ra...@lmco.com> on 2013/07/03 19:58:34 UTC

OpenOffice 3.3 and Java 7

Hello,

We are currently running Solaris x86 with OpenOffice 3.3. We have recently be directed to upgrade our systems to Java 7, but cannot seem to get Java 7 to work correctly with OpenOffice version 3.3. I understand there is a company (Adfinis SyGroup AG) that is porting OpenOffice to Solaris x86, but I am not sure of its status. Once the port is complete, will the software be managed by the Apache Software Foundation and made available at http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html. If so, is there a timeline for this?

Otherwise, has anyone been able to get OpenOffice 3.3 to work with Java 7?

Thanks,

Raymond

Re: EXTERNAL: Re: OpenOffice 3.3 and Java 7

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Steele, Raymond <ra...@lmco.com> wrote:
> "The folder you have selected foes not contain a Java runtime environment. Please select a different folder."

Maybe a permissions issue?
Sorry, I'm shooting in the dark here without access to a Solaris
system. Downloading and installing the latest Solaris on a Virtualbox
VM is on my to-do list...

I suggest you ask in the OpenIndiana mailing list

and also the IllumOS list
https://www.listbox.com/subscribe/?listname=discuss@lists.illumos.org

I bet that ther are many more active Solaris users who also run
OpenOffice than there are Solaris users here...
FC

RE: EXTERNAL: Re: OpenOffice 3.3 and Java 7

Posted by "Steele, Raymond" <ra...@lmco.com>.
We are running Solaris x86 and the Java version is the latest update of Java 1.7. The issue I am having is OpenOffice will not accept the Java 7 JRE via Tool->Options->Java->Add. When I try to add the Java 7 JRE, I receive the following  popup:

"The folder you have selected foes not contain a Java runtime environment. Please select a different folder."

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Steele, Raymond" <ra...@lmco.com>.

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Steele, Raymond" <ra...@lmco.com>.
Thanks for the information Johnny. I saw this on the forums, but I cannot seem to find any information about Solaris.

Re: OpenOffice 3.3 and Java 7

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.

Re: OpenOffice 3.3 and Java 7

Posted by James Lee <li...@oxdrove.co.uk>.
On 03/07/2013 18:58, Steele, Raymond wrote:

Hello,

> We are currently running Solaris x86 with OpenOffice 3.3. We have recently be directed to upgrade our systems to Java 7, but cannot seem to get Java 7 to work correctly with OpenOffice version 3.3.

I think it needs to at least be compiled for 1.7.  I use Solaris 10
i386  OOo-3.4.1, with Java 1.7 it fails

Unable to load native library: ld.so.1: soffice.bin: fatal: relocation
error: file /usr/jdk1.7.0_25/jre/lib/i386/libjava.so: symbol
JVM_SetNativeThreadName: referenced symbol not found

I'm not sure if it compiles with 1.7, I didn't try.

Why not install 2 JREs?  I use 1.6 with OOo and 1.7 with everything else.

James.