Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2002/06/01 14:30:56 UTC

Re: [Struts Tips] #2 - Template Method Dispatch Action?

"Molitor, Stephen" wrote:
> As is, the DispatchAction in Struts 1.02  cool, but does not provide direct
> support for eliminating or consolidating duplicate code from related tasks.
> It's just a different style.  With DispatchAction, one can have one big
> action class to handle related tasks, as opposed to  several little Action
> classes.  However, related tasks often have some common logic that needs to
> be performed for all the tasks, and other logic that is specific to each
> task.  It would be cool if there was a DispatchAction that provided hooks
> for the common logic.

For something similar, see the SuperAction in the Scaffold package.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-struts/contrib/scaffold/src/framework/main/org/apache/scaffold/http/SuperAction.java

I believe the Dispatch and Template (or Framework) class approaches may
be mutally exclusive. The idea of the Dispatch class is that you can
vector to an arbitrary method. The idea of a Framework class, like
SuperAction uses, is that a known entry method calls a number of
hotspots (or extension points) that you can override.

You could share common utility methods among various Dispatch methods by
passing all needed parameters through the signature, but how to merge
this idea with a framework class approach isn't jumping out at me.

The closest thing may to be use a relay action to forward the request to
another Action based on a framework class. You then just override a
business extension method on the framework Action (like
SuperAction.ExecuteLogic). This doesn't reduce the number of Actions,
but it does let you share as much code as possible

Personally, I use very few Struts Actions in an application. Instead I
tend to specify a business class as part of the action mapping, and then
have the Action call that, using a base Action like the above. The
business beans have a hotspot method with a known signature. The Action
just instantiates the business bean (like the ActionServlet instantiates
a form bean), calls the signature, and copes with the result. (Just like
the ActionServlet calls an Action.)

This trades Actions for business beans, but minimizes coupling to Struts
and maximizes code reuse between platforms.

The Advanced Struts skeleton for Adalon, uses the same approach. (No
surprise, I wrote it =:)

http://synthis.com/products/architectures/struts/

Synthis has released the skeleton code under the Apache License, and I'm
integrating it back into the Scaffold package and updating the Artimus
application to use the new clases. So, there will major updates to these
next week. All the same ideas, but with some improvements to the
implementation. Film at 11.

-- Ted Husted, Husted dot Com, Fairport NY US
-- Developing Java Web Applications with Struts
-- Tel: +1 585 737-3463
-- Web: http://husted.com/about/services