Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Toh <jm...@pacific.net.sg> on 2000/08/27 17:20:13 UTC

Help, tomcatwin32 can't start

Hi,

i encountered this error when i tried to start tomcat from dos prompt and from executing the batch file too

out of environment space
out of environment space
out of environment space
out of environment space
out of environment space
starting tomcat in new window
using classpath: c:\jakarta\tomcat\classes;c:\jakarta\tomcat\lib\webserver.jar
bad command or filename

can anyone help with this?
any help would be appreciated
thanks

ben

sorry for double post accidentally pressed send

Re: Help, tomcatwin32 can't start

Posted by William Brogden <wb...@bga.com>.

> Toh wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> i encountered this error when i tried to start tomcat from dos
> prompt and from executing the batch file too
>
> out of environment space
> out of environment space
> out of environment space
> out of environment space
> out of environment space
> starting tomcat in new window
> using classpath:
> c:\jakarta\tomcat\classes;c:\jakarta\tomcat\lib\webserver.jar
> bad command or filename
>
> can anyone help with this?

That is a well known problem - the long classpath, and other
environment variables that Tomcat uses are doing it.
In a DOS window, click the upper left corner, choose properties
on the Memory tab set InitialEnvironment higher. I use 3072
but higher is fine.
--
WBB - wbrogden@bga.com  Chief Scientist, LANWrights, Inc.
Java Programmer Certification information and mock exam

Re: Help, tomcatwin32 can't start

Posted by Jim Rudnicki <jd...@pacbell.net>.
I have a launcher that will solve the problem you
and many others have.  If you have a moment, give it a try and tell me it
worked!  It has worked for others.

Take a look:
http://www.geocities.com/jdrudnicki/

http://www.geocities.com/jdrudnicki/JustGo_v11.zip

Best wishes.

Jim

Posted by Brian Leach <br...@leach.com>.
In the DOS Window, get to the properties dialog. In the memory tab,
set the Initial environment to 4096. Then exit and try starting tomcat
again.

---
Brian Leach
brian@leach.com