Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de> on 2001/07/10 10:33:37 UTC

[C2]: Planning beta 2

Hi Team,

I think it is time to plan our next release: beta 2.
Our plans were to make this release in the middle of july and
I think we can realize this.

Apart from more documentation which is of course important
for the beta 2,
we have *only* to solve the bugs entered in bugzilla and
to finish outstanding issues. One of them is the content length
problem and the other is the class loading problem entered
in the todo list.

Is there any other thing to do?

If not, I would propose a code freeze for the end of the week
and a release date for the beta 2 could be 23rd of july.

What do you think?

Carsten

Re: [C2]: Planning beta 2

Posted by Gerhard Fröhlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Hi,
no I mean the MRUMemoryStore which keeps objects on the fs. See
my todo...

Cheers
Gerhard
> Quoting g-froehlich@gmx.de:
>
> > Hi,
> > do you want to integrate the filesystem store in the beta2
> > it's nearly ready, but not tested on load. But it should be
> > testable at the end of the week...
>
> Ahem... which FilesystemStore? A new one? What about the old one? Do you
> have
> any plans for it?
>
> Giacomo
>

> > Cheers
> > Gerhard
> > > Hi Team,
> > >
> > > I think it is time to plan our next release: beta 2.
> > > Our plans were to make this release in the middle of july and
> > > I think we can realize this.
> > >
> > > Apart from more documentation which is of course important
> > > for the beta 2,
> > > we have *only* to solve the bugs entered in bugzilla and
> > > to finish outstanding issues. One of them is the content length
> > > problem and the other is the class loading problem entered
> > > in the todo list.
> > >
> > > Is there any other thing to do?
> > >
> > > If not, I would propose a code freeze for the end of the week
> > > and a release date for the beta 2 could be 23rd of july.
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> > >
> > > Carsten
> > >
> > > Open Source Group                        sunShine - b:Integrated
> > >

> > --
> > Gerhard Fröhlich
> > g-froehlich@gmx.de
> >
> > "black holes are,
> > when GOD is dividing by zero"
> >
> > GMX - Die Kommunikationsplattform im Internet.
> > http://www.gmx.net
> >
> > GMX Tipp:
> >
> > Machen Sie Ihr Hobby zu Geld bei unserem Partner 1&1!
> > http://profiseller.de/info/index.php3?ac=OM.PS.PS003K00596T0409a

Gerhard Fröhlich
g-froehlich@gmx.de

"black holes are,
when GOD is dividing by zero"

Re: [C2]: Planning beta 2

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
Quoting g-froehlich@gmx.de:

Re: AW: [C2]: Planning beta 2

Posted by Gerhard Fröhlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Hi,
no problem for me at :-)

Cheers
Gerhard

AW: [C2]: Planning beta 2

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
Hi Gerhard,

Posted by g-...@gmx.de.

AW: [C2]: Planning beta 2

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
> Quoting Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>:
>
> > Hi Team,
> >
> > I think it is time to plan our next release: beta 2.
> > Our plans were to make this release in the middle of july and
> > I think we can realize this.
> >
> > Apart from more documentation which is of course important
> > for the beta 2,
> > we have *only* to solve the bugs entered in bugzilla and
> > to finish outstanding issues. One of them is the content length
> > problem and the other is the class loading problem entered
> > in the todo list.
> >
> > Is there any other thing to do?
>
> I don't have any other issues except integrating the new avalon
> libs and get rid
> of the Roles.java class which should not be needed anymore then.
>
> Oh, one issue left. In the caching subpackage there are empty interfaces
> (EventCache and StreamCache) left which are not needed anymore.
> Carsten, you've
> remove two of them yesterday (the classes) but not their
> interfaces. Could you
> remove them (in the 20-branch)?

Oh yes, I just removed them. Thanks.

Carsten

Re: [C2]: Planning beta 2

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: [C2]: Planning beta 2 (Configurable JspGenerator which work with Oracle9iAS Containers for J2EE)

Posted by "Marcelo F. Ochoa" <mo...@ieee.org>.
Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Marcelo,
> Do you have some time to do this?

  IMO using the interface javax.servlet.Servlet will be work for all cases.
  - "javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet" class extends
javax.servlet.GenericServlet which implements javax.servlet.Servlet
interface.
  - "com.evermind.server.http.JSPServlet" implements
javax.servlet.Servlet interface.

 - "com.prism.JspWrapper" implements javax.servlet.Servlet interface.
 Then using:

import javax.servlet.Servlet;
            Class clazz = Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader().loadClass(this.jspServletClass);
            Servlet jsp = (Servlet) clazz.newInstance();
            jsp.init(new config((ServletContext)this.objectModel.get(HttpEnvironment.HTTP_SERVLET_CONTEXT)));
            jsp.service(request, response);
will be work ...

> Thanks,
> dims

  Many thanks in advance, Marcelo

--
Marcelo F. Ochoa - mochoa@ieee.org
Do you Know DB Prism? Look @ http://www.plenix.com/dbprism/

Re: [C2]: Planning beta 2 (Configurable JspGenerator which work with Oracle9iAS Containers for J2EE)

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Please see below:

--- Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org> wrote:
> Quoting "Marcelo F. Ochoa" <mo...@ieee.org>:
>
> > Hi all:
> >    Is there any simple way to modified the JspGenerator in order to
> > accept a configuration parameter?
>
> Yes, patch it to accept a Configuration/Parameters like any other component will
> ev. have Configuration/Parameters.

Giacomo, Marcelo,
Done. Checked-in to both 2.0 and 2.1 CVS.

> >    It mean that JspGenerator accepts differents JspCompiler, for
> > example:
> >    - com.evermind.server.http.JSPServlet (Oracle9iAS Containers for
> > J2EE)
> >    - oracle.jsp.JspServlet (Oracle JSP 1.1)
> >
> >   - com.prism.JspWrapper (DB Prism wrapper which integrates DB Prism
> > 1.2.1 with Cocoon 2 framework)
> >
> >    I am working with the last option and with a modified version (hard
> > coded) of JspGenerator which has changed the lines:
> >
> >              // start JSPServlet.
> >              Class clazz =

Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader().loadClass("org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet");
> >              HttpServlet jsp = (HttpServlet) clazz.newInstance();
> >

> > with these lines:
> >
> >              // start JSPServlet.
> >              Class clazz =
> > Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader().loadClass("com.prism.JspWrapper");
> >              Servlet jsp = (Servlet) clazz.newInstance();
>
> If all these HttpServlets/Servlets need to be abstracted then you should create
> an Avalon component put into cocoon.xconf to wrap those and let JspGenerator
> choose that component for the request.

Marcelo,
Do you have some time to do this?

> > Note that, I am using Servlet class instead of HttpServlet because is
> > higher in the level of inherency and it working with Oracle Object
> > Container for Java (9 iAS).
> > In the other hand, I am working in document with five step to install
> > and run Cocoon 2 with Oracle9iAS Containers for J2EE (OC4J)
> > (http://technet.oracle.com/tech/java/oc4j/content.html) and I will sent
> > it to this list.
> > Best regards, Marcelo.

Thanks,
dims

=====
Davanum Srinivas, JNI-FAQ Manager
http://www.jGuru.com/faq/JNI

Re: [C2]: Planning beta 2 (Configurable JspGenerator which work with Oracle9iAS Containers for J2EE)

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Marcelo,

Please pick up the latest JspGenerator.java and sitemap.xmap from the CVS. You will find that you
can specify the Class Name as a parameter in the sitemap.xmap file. Please feel free to submit
patches and docs. It will be really helpful.

Thanks,
dims

RE: [C2]: Planning beta 2

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

Checked. Thanks.

/LS

AW: [C2]: Planning beta 2

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
Hi,

RE: [C2]: Planning beta 2

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

AW: [C2]: Planning beta 2

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
> Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>
> Please see below:
>
> --- Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de> wrote:
> > Apart from more documentation which is of course important
> > for the beta 2,
> > we have *only* to solve the bugs entered in bugzilla and
> > to finish outstanding issues. One of them is the content length
> > problem and the other is the class loading problem entered
> > in the todo list.
> > Is there any other thing to do?
>
> We can move the new SQLTransformer and helper transformers from
> C2.1 to C2.

I didn't follow the discussions very close, but is the C2.1 SQL
transformer combatible to the C2 solution? If so, ok we can
add it.

Carsten

Re: [C2]: Planning beta 2

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Please see below:

AW: [C2]: Planning beta 2

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

Hi Vadim,

I thought yesterday, that it was me who broke the caching of CA,
so it should be myself who must fix this. And here is the good news:
Actually, I made the CA cacheable last night and will check it in today.
For this I didn't have to change any interface. The cocoon urls
(or the SitemapSource) calculates now a last modification date for the
source and this is used. This makes even the file generator etc.
cacheable if the source is a cocoon url.

> > > And, because SitemapSource needs to construct pipeline which should be
> > > reused during generateKey/validity/stream (or
> > > getTimestamp/stream) methods,
> > > it need to a recyclable component...
> > The Source object is not an avalon component, so we can't use the mimic
>
> I know.
>
> > and as the Source object should be as lightweight as possible, I think
> > it is better this way. The Source object is itself "recycle" by calling
> > the "refresh" method.
>
> Is it a contract between Source and component which is uses it
> that refresh()
> _must_ always be called? Then this solves this issue.

Yes, it is a contract between them. The component can use the Source
object only once. After that it must call refresh() to use it again.

I hope I can come up with a documentation on url and source handling next
week.

> > > And connected to this issue... Should we call HashUtil.hash()
> > > only once during
> > > key generation process for pipeline? Then it's better return
> > > String as a key and
> > > then caller can hash it.
> > Sorry, again I don't agree here. During the pipeline processing the
> > generateKey method is called only once, so the hash function is
> > only called once. So I don't see any overhead here.
>
> You missed the point here. It is called once _per_component_.
> Let's assume that you have following sitemap:
> <aggregator>
>   <part>
>     <aggregator>
>       <part>
>         <generator>
>         <transformer>
>         <transformer>
>       </part>
>       <part>
>         <generator>
>         <transformer>
>         <transformer>
>       </part>
>     </aggregator>
>     <transformer>
>     <transformer>
>   </part>
>   <part>
>     <generator>
>     <transformer>
>     <transformer>
>   </part>
> </aggregator>
> <transformer>
>
> Every generator/transformer have HashUtul.hash() call, then
> resulting "long"s are combined into
> string and content aggregator calls HashUtul.hash() again, and so
> on (if you have more
> then one level of aggregation). And that's not even performance
> concern here, but the
> quality of the resulting key - could it be that it would degrade
> when you use more levels
> of content aggregation?
>
> That's why I'm thinking that it might be better to hash string
> only once, without
> recursion.

Ah, ok, you're right. I think, as the working solution makes no
difference between CA and the normal file generator and no
difference between a cocoon url and a http url, we can leave
everything at it is right now.
The overhead is as minimal as possible without changing interfaces.

Carsten

RE: [C2]: Planning beta 2

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <vg...@hns.com>.

AW: [C2]: Planning beta 2