Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/21 03:01:51 UTC

FOR-1108 on Mac

Hey Devs-
I'm seeing FOR-1108 on OSX Leopard.  I would assume that JIRA is up to
date but that would mean trunk has been broken for quite some time, so
I thought I'd just ask before looking into it.  It seems to have been
reported only relative to a platform (windows) so I thought it weird
to be seeing it too.  Is the trunk still broken?

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1108

Thanks,
--tim

Re: FOR-1108 on Mac

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 12:09 AM, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:
>> David Crossley wrote:

>> > That is not related to FOR-1108. It is something else
>> > that appeared around the same time. It came along with
>> > the upgrade of our PDF output plugin. See the dev archives,
>> > where there is some discussion about it between me and Jeremias.
>>
>> This is bizarre.  It was a discussion between you a Jeremias[1] that
>> led me to FOR-1108 because of Ross' concluding mail[2].
>
> That [1] is not the conversation that i was referring to.
> This is it a little further in that thread:
> [3] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/forrest-dev/200809.mbox/%3c20080912114226.GD2534@igg.indexgeo.com.au%3e
>
> There are two separate issues:
>
> *) The one with icon-b and the NPE. See [3] and see
> the first part of the output listing in [1].
>
> *) The crux of FOR-1108, which is the part where
> it fails (only on Windows we thought) with the very
> corrupted path to dataModel.xmap file. See the
> the seconds part of the output listing in [1].
>
> -----------
> X [0] linkmap.html  BROKEN: C:\Dev\apache.org\rw\forrest-trunk\main\webapp\.\C:\Dev\apache.org\rw\forrest-trunk\build\test_d
> ispatcher_site\build\tmp\C:\Dev\apache.org\rw\forrest-trunk\build\plugins\dataModel.xmap
> -----------
>
> So are you seeing a similarly corrupted path too?

I'm not sure, I've been seeing exactly what's in the log about icon-b
and NPE, I'll have to look this evening and see if I see the other
one.

--tim

Re: FOR-1108 on Mac

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Tim Williams wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Tim Williams wrote:

> >> Ok, apologies in advance if I'm missing something incredibly obvious -
> >> I'm coming from a long hibernation...
> >>
> >> So, I'm failing with a NPE just like the attached log file in
> >> FOR-1108.
> >
> > That is not related to FOR-1108. It is something else
> > that appeared around the same time. It came along with
> > the upgrade of our PDF output plugin. See the dev archives,
> > where there is some discussion about it between me and Jeremias.
>
> This is bizarre.  It was a discussion between you a Jeremias[1] that
> led me to FOR-1108 because of Ross' concluding mail[2].

That [1] is not the conversation that i was referring to.
This is it a little further in that thread:
[3] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/forrest-dev/200809.mbox/%3c20080912114226.GD2534@igg.indexgeo.com.au%3e

There are two separate issues:

*) The one with icon-b and the NPE. See [3] and see
the first part of the output listing in [1].

*) The crux of FOR-1108, which is the part where
it fails (only on Windows we thought) with the very
corrupted path to dataModel.xmap file. See the
the seconds part of the output listing in [1].

-----------
X [0] linkmap.html  BROKEN: C:\Dev\apache.org\rw\forrest-trunk\main\webapp\.\C:\Dev\apache.org\rw\forrest-trunk\build\test_d
ispatcher_site\build\tmp\C:\Dev\apache.org\rw\forrest-trunk\build\plugins\dataModel.xmap
-----------

So are you seeing a similarly corrupted path too?

-David

Re: FOR-1108 on Mac

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:02 PM, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:
>> David Crossley wrote:
>> >
>> > What are the errors that you are seeing?

>> > That note is attempting to explain that the generated
>> > docs (as deployed on the zone) are not at the root of
>> > the webserver, hence the generated paths for some of
>> > the image references are not showing correctly.
>> > I don't understand how that would relate to FOR-1108.
>>
>> Ok, apologies in advance if I'm missing something incredibly obvious -
>> I'm coming from a long hibernation...
>>
>> So, I'm failing with a NPE just like the attached log file in
>> FOR-1108.
>
> That is not related to FOR-1108. It is something else
> that appeared around the same time. It came along with
> the upgrade of our PDF output plugin. See the dev archives,
> where there is some discussion about it between me and Jeremias.

This is bizarre.  It was a discussion between you a Jeremias[1] that
led me to FOR-1108 because of Ross' concluding mail[2].  My stacktrace

Re: FOR-1108 on Mac

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: FOR-1108 on Mac

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 10:39 PM, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:
>> David Crossley wrote:

>> > As far as i remember, you are the first to report a
>> > problem on a modern Mac.
>> >
>> > Now searching the archives i found this from Sjur:
>> > http://marc.info/?l=forrest-dev&m=122112679627853
>> > "Re: [STATUS] [heads-up] merging our branch Cocoon-2.1"
>> > which indicates that it was okay on Leopard.
>> >
>> > Perhaps you can help to debug it, as it seems that
>> > our Windows developers have not yet found time.
>> > Cyriaque added a new observation recently to FOR-1108.
>> >
>> > Trunk works fine for me on this older Mac OSX Tiger.
>> > And it is fine on Solaris 10, as the forrestbot on the
>> > Forrest zones server is okay. Also fine for Thorsten
>> > and Brian on Linux.
>>
>> Actually, according to that mail, Sjur was only able to test in "run"
>> mode which does indeed work for me too - the problem occurs in forrest
>> site.
>
> What are the errors that you are seeing?
>
>>   There is actually a note at the bottom of
>> /samples-b/linking.html that gives a obscure clue - reading that note
>> it's still not clear to me why it fails to harshly at this point.
>
> That note is attempting to explain that the generated
> docs (as deployed on the zone) are not at the root of
> the webserver, hence the generated paths for some of
> the image references are not showing correctly.
> I don't understand how that would relate to FOR-1108.

Ok, apologies in advance if I'm missing something incredibly obvious -
I'm coming from a long hibernation...

So, I'm failing with a NPE just like the attached log file in
FOR-1108.  Looking into this led me to linking.html.  Specifically,

Re: FOR-1108 on Mac

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: FOR-1108 on Mac

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 9:58 PM, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:
>> Hey Devs-
>> I'm seeing FOR-1108 on OSX Leopard.  I would assume that JIRA is up to
>> date but that would mean trunk has been broken for quite some time, so
>> I thought I'd just ask before looking into it.  It seems to have been
>> reported only relative to a platform (windows) so I thought it weird
>> to be seeing it too.  Is the trunk still broken?
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1108
>
> As far as i remember, you are the first to report a
> problem on a modern Mac.
>
> Now searching the archives i found this from Sjur:
> http://marc.info/?l=forrest-dev&m=122112679627853
> "Re: [STATUS] [heads-up] merging our branch Cocoon-2.1"
> which indicates that it was okay on Leopard.
>
> Perhaps you can help to debug it, as it seems that
> our Windows developers have not yet found time.
> Cyriaque added a new observation recently to FOR-1108.
>
> Trunk works fine for me on this older Mac OSX Tiger.
> And it is fine on Solaris 10, as the forrestbot on the
> Forrest zones server is okay. Also fine for Thorsten
> and Brian on Linux.

Actually, according to that mail, Sjur was only able to test in "run"
mode which does indeed work for me too - the problem occurs in forrest
site.  There is actually a note at the bottom of

Re: FOR-1108 on Mac

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.