Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2012/08/09 09:05:25 UTC

Flex trademark assigned to Apache Software Foundation

The Apache Flex PPMC would like to inform our community that Adobe Systems
Inc. has assigned the Flex trademark to the Apache Software Foundation.
This is an important milestone in our progress towards graduating and
becoming a full-fledged Apache project.

Adobe will retain a limited license to use Flex for its current Flex
products and web-sites so you will still see "Adobe Flex" out there, but
Apache is now the official owner of the trademark.

-The Apache Flex PPMC

Re: Flex trademark assigned to Apache Software Foundation

Posted by aYo ~ <ay...@binitie.com>.
Brilliant, time to gain some traction

Posted by Arthur Lockman <ar...@ajobi.net>.
Awesome!!

Posted by Peter HO <pi...@gmail.com>.
+1 !

Posted by Rui Silva <fl...@rduartes.net>.
Nice!

Posted by Miguel Martín-Forero Ruiz <mi...@cycle-it.com>.
I'm glad to read these really great news! Just another step forwards for
Apache Flex :)
---
[image: Cycle-IT]
  * Miguel Martín*
 Director de Tecnología   [image: P] +34 644 469 698
[image: E] miguel.martin@cycle-it.com
[image: W] www.cycle-it.com
[image: T] @lasneyx <http://twitter.com/lasneyx>

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.
hooray! ;) great news!

--
regards,
Roland

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Wow! Great! :)

Posted by Abdul Sattar <sa...@gmail.com>.
Great news!

--
Abdul Sattar
(Director IT & Operations)

Re: Flex trademark assigned to Apache Software Foundation

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
Yeah!

-omar

Re: Apache Flex Graduation: (was Re: Flex trademark assigned to Apache Software Foundation)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:
> ...I documented the release process that I did here [1]...

Ah great, sorry I missed that!
-Bertrand

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 8/10/12 4 :17AM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>> There have been some discussions with the Mentors about graduation.  As
>>you
>> can see from the branching discussion, we still could use some mentor
>> guidance from time to time....
>
>I support graduating soon - I think the current PPMC has done a great
>job of grasping the Apache community principles, it has invited new
>committers, made a release and generally gone through all phases that
>a podling need to go through.
>
>OTOH, as most PPMC members are in their first Apache project, I would
>make graduation conditional on 2-3 experienced Apache members staying
>on the PPMC for at least one year, and reviewing releases and board
>reports. Kind of an informal mentoring, to help keep the nice
>direction that this podling has taken and to make sure the new project
>has someone to ask if needed.
>
>Making an additional release before graduating might be a good idea,
>provided that happens soon. Maybe I missed something but I don't think
>the release process has been documented (see [1] for example) - if I'm
>right, a second release is the opportunity to do that.

I documented the release process that I did here [1]

Carol

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

[1] http://sling.apache.org/site/release-management.html

Re: Apache Flex Graduation: (was Re: Flex trademark assigned to Apache Software Foundation)

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
> There have been some discussions with the Mentors about graduation.  As you
> can see from the branching discussion, we still could use some mentor
> guidance from time to time.

Honestly, I don't think that requires mentor guidance as much as it
does consensus building. It's really just part of the community trying
to figure out how it wants to work. Unless the chosen strategy is a
clear violation of apache guidelines the only thing the mentors can
add to the discussion is our own opinion.

I think there's still some mentor guidance needed, but it would be in
helping people better understand the transition from a
corporate-driven project to a community-driven project in the Apache
Way.

I really only express that to say this: It's perfectly fine to seek
guidance from the mentors if you feel like you can't figure out the
way forward. But at some point the project needs to find its own legs.
Let's be careful not to rely too heavily on the mentors to resolve
things that the PPMC should figure out. These are hard decisions, and
as a mentor, I don't mind offering my opinion. But at some point the
project members just need to make a go of it. As with many things in
software, we have far-reaching decisions that need to be made up
front. But we can't be expected to understand all the consequences of
those decisions up front.

Perhaps the best approach is to try something for a while and
re-eveluate it in a couple months. Do things in small, easily
reversible steps. With Subversion we can always undo something we
don't like.

Having said all that, I have no problem waiting for another release to
graduate. I'd also have no problem supporting a graduation vote if it
was put forward today.

Greg

Apache Flex Graduation: (was Re: Flex trademark assigned to Apache Software Foundation)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
There have been some discussions with the Mentors about graduation.  As you
can see from the branching discussion, we still could use some mentor
guidance from time to time.

Personally, I think we should cut another release with more involvement from
the non-Adobe folks.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Flex trademark assigned to Apache Software Foundation

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.