Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Fred <te...@i-is.com> on 2004/08/23 19:54:09 UTC

Issue I had with URIDNSBL in SA 3.0

Hello,

During testing of 3.0-rc1 on my Win32 platform, I ran into an issue with
URIDNSBL.
In my config I have dns_available set to no and everything works fine.
(except for the net tests)

When I set it to yes, SA will not get past:
debug: Running tests for priority: 500

When I set dns_available no in my config and re-test the same message, I
get:

debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x2c97828)
implements 'check_post_dnsbl'

Directly after:
debug: Running tests for priority: 500

Thinking it might be my Net::DNS plugin, I updated from 0.44 to 0.48 and it
resolved the problem.

Just thought someone else might see this one day and here's how to fix it.

Frederic Tarasevicius
Internet Information Services, Inc.
http://www.i-is.com/
810-794-4400
mailto:info@i-is.com

Re: Issue I had with URIDNSBL in SA 3.0

Posted by Fred <te...@i-is.com>.
Malte S. Stretz wrote:
> Actually, we currently only require 0.44 under Windows.  For all other
> systems INSTALL doesn't mantion any version number, only recommends
> 0.34 if you use Mail::SPF::Query.

If we could get someone else to verify my test (and ensure my box isn't
screwed up), it appears that 0.46 is required for this to work properly.

If it matters, I'm using Perl 5.8.2 on Win32.
Thanks!

Re: Issue I had with URIDNSBL in SA 3.0

Posted by "Malte S. Stretz" <ms...@gmx.net>.
On Monday 23 August 2004 20:11 CET Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> "Fred" <te...@i-is.com> writes:
> > Thinking it might be my Net::DNS plugin, I updated from 0.44 to 0.48
> > and it resolved the problem.
>
> We currently minimally require version 0.44.

Actually, we currently only require 0.44 under Windows.  For all other
systems INSTALL doesn't mantion any version number, only recommends 0.34 if
you use Mail::SPF::Query.

> I don't suppose you could test 0.44, 0.45, 0.46, 0.47, and 0.48 to
> figure out the minimum version required for it to work?

That would be cool indeed :)

Cheers,
Malte

--
[SGT] Simon G. Tatham: "How to Report Bugs Effectively"
      <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>

Re: Issue I had with URIDNSBL in SA 3.0

Posted by Fred <te...@i-is.com>.
Malte S. Stretz wrote:
> On Monday 23 August 2004 22:09 CET Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> Looks good;  I don't really know what to look for but I get past the
> mentioned point

The mail stops being processed until I hit Control+C to end the task.  No
CPU usage during this inactive time, it appears as if something is waiting
for something else to happen.

Re: Issue I had with URIDNSBL in SA 3.0

Posted by "Malte S. Stretz" <ms...@gmx.net>.
On Monday 23 August 2004 22:09 CET Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> Fred <te...@i-is.com> writes:
> > 0.44 - Not working
> > Retest proved:  Still not working
> > 0.45 - Not working
> > 0.46 - Works fine
> > 0.47 - Works fine
> > 0.48 - Works fine
>
> Thanks!  Great information.
>
> Is anyone successfully using a Net::DNS version older than 0.44 on
> Linux, BSD, or some other Unix platform?

Looks good;  I don't really know what to look for but I get past the
mentioned point
| debug: Running tests for priority: 500
| debug: RBL: success for 1 of 1 queries
| debug: plugin: Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x85037c4)
|   implements 'check_post_dnsbl'

SPF seems to work, too (at least do I get SPF_HELO_PASS,SPF_PASS for
Daniel's mail :~).

All this with
| mss@otherland ~ $ perl -MNet::DNS -le 'print $Net::DNS::VERSION'
| 0.40

Cheers,
Malte

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
Fred <te...@i-is.com> writes:

> 0.44 - Not working
> Retest proved:  Still not working
> 0.45 - Not working
> 0.46 - Works fine
> 0.47 - Works fine
> 0.48 - Works fine

Thanks!  Great information.

Is anyone successfully using a Net::DNS version older than 0.44 on
Linux, BSD, or some other Unix platform?

Daniel

--
Daniel Quinlan
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/

Re: Issue I had with URIDNSBL in SA 3.0

Posted by Fred <te...@i-is.com>.
Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> "Fred" <te...@i-is.com> writes:
>
>> Thinking it might be my Net::DNS plugin, I updated from 0.44 to 0.48
>> and it resolved the problem.
>
> We currently minimally require version 0.44.
>
> I don't suppose you could test 0.44, 0.45, 0.46, 0.47, and 0.48 to
> figure out the minimum version required for it to work?

0.44 - Not working
Retest proved:  Still not working

0.45 - Not working

0.46 - Works fine