Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Raymond Kroeker <ra...@thinkparity.com> on 2007/07/19 18:10:32 UTC

Command history in ij

Hi All,
  I'm using Ubuntu linux and am wondering if there's a way to access
previous queries from a history; ie use up-arrow to load the most recent
query?

  Thanks.

Raymond Kroeker
thinkParity Solutions Inc.

Re: Command history in ij

Posted by Raymond Kroeker <ra...@thinkparity.com>.
Thanks for the response Jorgen and Narayanan.

Raymond

On 7/19/07, V Narayanan <V....@sun.com> wrote:

> Jørgen Løland wrote:
>
> And here is the JIRA for this
>
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/Derby-1447
>
> looks like there is a workaround suggested too.
>
> Narayanan
> > Raymond Kroeker wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>  I'm using Ubuntu linux and am wondering if there's a way to access
> >> previous queries from a history; ie use up-arrow to load the most
> recent
> >> query?
> >>
> >>  Thanks.
> >>

> > Unfortunately, you can't. This is a missing feature in ij, so changing
> > operating system will not help either.
> >
> > I usually write sql statements in emacs, and then copy the text to ij.
> > Tips: you can copy-paste many sql statements each time.

Raymond Kroeker
thinkParity Solutions Inc.

RE: Command history in ij

Posted by Pertti Ylijukuri <pe...@gmail.com>.
One good sql client is
henplus(http://www.java-source.net/open-source/sql-clients/henplus) which
support also history.

Re: Command history in ij

Posted by V Narayanan <V....@Sun.COM>.

Re: Command history in ij

Posted by Jørgen Løland <Jo...@Sun.COM>.
Jørgen Løland wrote:
> Raymond Kroeker wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>  I'm using Ubuntu linux and am wondering if there's a way to access
>> previous queries from a history; ie use up-arrow to load the most recent
>> query?
>>
>>  Thanks.
>>

> Unfortunately, you can't. This is a missing feature in ij, so changing
> operating system will not help either.
>
> I usually write sql statements in emacs, and then copy the text to ij.
> Tips: you can copy-paste many sql statements each time.

Raymond,

I forgot that you can run ij through emacs. I have this in my .emacs file:

(defun ij ()
   (interactive)
   (switch-to-buffer (make-comint "ij" "java" nil
                                  "-cp" (expand-file-name
"~/derby/trunk/classes")
                                  "org.apache.derby.tools.ij"))
   (setq comint-prompt-regexp "^ij>"))

M-x ij can then be used to start ij in emacs, and you can use M-p and
M-n to cycle through the input history.

--
Jørgen Løland

Re: Command history in ij

Posted by Jørgen Løland <Jo...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Command history in ij

Posted by hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com>.
On Unix you can use rlwrap. It's based on GNU Readline and wraps both input
and output stream of another program providing command history, etc.

rlwrap ij

Works great for me.