Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "Lee, Alan" <Al...@fcc-fac.ca> on 2008/08/25 22:59:18 UTC

Axis1 to Axis2 server side code

Hi All,

We are in the process of upgrading our web services from Axis1 to Axis2 and we have some questions.

Our current web services 1) throw custom exceptions and have 2) polymorphism (class hierarchy). Using Axis1, both just worked without an issue, we don't have/need any Axis1 custom codes on the server side which is good for us as we are using the code-first approach.

However with Axis2, we cannot get 1) and 2) working with the default RPCMessageReceiver.  To make them work, we have to use the custom MessageReceiver and its referenced data binding classes generated by Wsdl2Java on the server side.

Is that the standard approach in Axis2 web service development (using the generated MessageReceiver on the server side)?

TIA,

Alan Lee

Re: Axis1 to Axis2 server side code

Posted by keith chapman <ke...@gmail.com>.
Well, Axis2 supports both code first and Contract First. Using a generated
MessageReceiver could actually be more productive than using the RPC ones
(In terms of performance). The RPC message Receivers uses reflection to load
classes while the generated ones know which class to invoke beforehand and
does a better job of converstion XML -> JAVA and vice versa. So its a good
approach.

Thanks,
Keith.

--
Keith Chapman
Senior Software Engineer

blog: http://www.keith-chapman.org

Axis2 server side custom MessageReceiver