Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Jason A. Dour" <ja...@bcc.louisville.edu> on 1997/06/27 17:34:56 UTC

Our recent Apache woes (fwd)

Here's a letter from the UofL webmaster regarding our recent problems
upgrading our old Apache server for www.louisville.edu to version 1.2.0.

For background information, since it's not provided in his note, our
machine is an HP, running:
		HP-UX homer B.10.10 E 9000/819

He compiled it with HP's compiler, and received no warning or errors.
Aside from a standard config, he's using suEXEC and a DCE/kerberos5 module
that was developed here at UofL.

Can anyone shed a little more light on the situation for us?  We have it
working, but the starving sockets fix wasn't the clearest answer...

Any information/help would be greatly appreciated, guys.

Thanks,
Jason
# Jason A. Dour <ja...@bcc.louisville.edu>                            1101
# Programmer Analyst II; Department of Radiation Oncology; Univ. of Lou.
# Finger for URLs, PGP public key, geek code, PJ Harvey info, et cetera.

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 10:59:33 -0500 (EDT)
From: Ken Hagan <kh...@homer.louisville.edu>
To: "Jason A. Dour" <ja...@homer.louisville.edu>,
    "Donald S. Teiser" <ds...@homer.louisville.edu>,
    Keith Stevenson <kt...@homer.louisville.edu>,
    "Michael H. Dyre" <mh...@homer.louisville.edu>,
    webmaster@homer.louisville.edu
Subject: Our recent Apache woes

Hello,
  We have recently been undergoing the seemingly simple migration
from Apache 1.0.5 to Apache 1.2.0.  During the migration, we
have had some outtages of the web server.  They are hopefully
resolved, so I thought I would send a note detailing what I think
was wrong.
We fired up Apache 1.2.0 on Friday, 13 June.  I now realize how silly
it was to do such a thing on Friday the 13.  It ran fine until the
next Thursday sometime very early in the morning. There was no responding
web server at 0730 when people started coming in to work.  The
processes that were running we just sitting there laughing at you when
you connected and made a request (hopefully the chortles will be less
irritating in Apache 2.x).  We killed all of the processes and restarted
the server.  It died later that day and proceeded to die several more times
during the next week or so.
We tried many different things to no avail.  Removing extraneous modules,
removing our DCE/Kerberos5 auth module, recompiling many different ways.
None of these worked.  We were suffering from the load spike problem
documented in the Apache Bug Database, but not in the same way as was
documented (the bug report listed instantaneous spikes and our seemed to
go up quickly, but trickle down).  The bug report on load spikes had a
pointer to another bug report concerning starving sockets.  That
bug report is
http://www.apache.org/bugdb.cgi/full/467
The bug report doesn't make any specific references to our plight, but
the fix described therein seems to have fixed our starving sockets and our
load spikes.  The odd thing is that the bug report was for servers using
multiple listen directives and we are not. But anyhow, the change was made
to the makefile, the server recompiled, and now the site has been up for
almost a day (at a 100,000+hits I might add).  I just thought I would send
a report of our woes to keep everyone briefed.

 Ken.
Ken Hagan                          	Programmer Analyst
khhaga01@homer.louisville.edu      	Research and Development
(502)852-1701                      	Information Technology
http://www.louisville.edu/~khhaga01/    University of Louisville

Re: Our recent Apache woes (fwd)

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
I am 100% convinced that serialized accepts are the way to go.  I'm still
convincing myself that weakly serialized (i.e. a maximum of N tasks inside
the loop) is a good thing as well (consider SMP boxes).

The problem described below regarding the load is probably still explained
by the lack of serialization.  The difference is probably that hpux uses a
different formula for calculating its load avg than sunos 4.1.x.  I'm not
sure how to relate the rest of the problem though.

We could start defining one of the serialization directives in 1.2.1
according to the reports we've received for:  osf, hpux, sunos.  Use
whatever the users have reported works for them.  (Or whoever uses those
architectures could tell me which of fcntl or flock works for you.)

Dean