Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ha...@t-online.de on 2006/10/14 00:00:38 UTC

RE: Having issue with a type of spam I havn't seen before

>> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Jo for Groups and Lists wrote:
>>
>> > Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 12:01:32 -0400
>> > From: Jo for Groups and Lists <ou...@rogers.com>
>> > To: users@spamassassin.apache.org
>> > Subject: RE: Having issue with a type of spam I havn't seen before
>> >
>> > Are you using Outlook by any chance? If you are, mostly  "src=CID"
>> > only appears in the View-Source via Outlook. It's a reference to the
>> > downloaded image saved in the temp files on your desktop. If you
>> > look at the raw mail file on the server before downloading the
>> > message, there is a regular  "img src='http:// ". So SA would never
>> > detect 'CID' anyway - it only exists after downloading.
>> >
>> > BTDT - I found this out when a procmail recipe I tried kept failing!
>>
>> Not true in all cases. It's how HTML email references an image that is
>> attached to the message.

Hi,

actually an image sent along with an email should use CID addressing.
While, obviously, one program decides to convert received image urls into CID (in order to store
the image on the server locally, with the mail) it is definitely valid to send an email
which already has the images embedded .... and it is the only way to do if the image
is not kept on a public server (say if someone is using outlook stationary)

One could not even say that this is a spam sign - although I prefer plaintext mails and dont see
much sense in getting a copy of somebody's logo sent with every single message

Wolfgang Hamann