Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Sheetal Kumar <ks...@cadence.com> on 2001/06/20 19:10:48 UTC

Re: Modified SVG DOM does not get repainted in Netscape on Solari s

TK> On Monday 18 June 2001 19:12, Sheetal Madasnal wrote:

>> This works perfectly on Windows browsers IE5.5, Netscape 4.7 (with
>> the Java 1.3 plugin). But Netscape 4.76 on Solaris is a total
>> mess. It does not repaint the applet after the DOM is modified and
>> the setSVGDocument() is called.

TK> I have no idea, sorry.  May be thomas who is working on solaris
TK> may have one...

    Well, you don't specify what version of Solaris, but early
versions of Solaris (2.5.x at least) had serious redraw problems with
the Java 2 JVM's (the only approved JVM was a particular build of 1.2.2).

    However, as I recall JDK 1.3 would refuse to run on this version
of Solaris.  Are you also using the 1.3 plugin on Solaris?

    Does the Batik svgbrowser work correctly on the same Solaris Box?

Sheetal Kumar :

 The Solaris box has 2.8 version and the latest Java plugin version 1.3.1
from sun site.

 Anyway, I think I found the cause for problem. Actually the plugin on my
Windows machine is 1.3.0_02 (not 1.3.1 - the latest).
So when I changed the plugin on that Solaris (2.8) to 1.3.0_02 it worked. It
seems like there is some new bug in the latest plugin (1.3.1).

 I knew this when I updated my windows box to the latest plugin 1.3.1 and it
won't work.

 Can u please confirm if there is any problem with the plugin version 1.3.1
related to svg rendering? The SVG browser works fine, but I did not test the
modification of svg dom and setSVGDocument.

 FYI: i have a class extending the JSVGComponent and override the
loadSVGDocument() and setSVGDocument() methods to modify the document before
it is sent to GVT builder. Is this approach ok?

 thanks,
-sheetal