Posted to user@poi.apache.org by navjamsster <ku...@in.ibm.com> on 2009/02/19 08:36:23 UTC

Is POI 3.5 support Microsoft XLSB format?

Hi

Is APACHE POI 3.5 support Microsoft XLSB format? or when will the plan for
supporting XLSB.

Regards
Naveen

Re: Is POI 3.5 support Microsoft XLSB format?

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009, navjamsster wrote:
> Is APACHE POI 3.5 support Microsoft XLSB format? or when will the plan
> for supporting XLSB.

I don't think we're likely to support it explicitly, though you might find
that the existing HSSF code works just fine with it

Most people are either sticking with .xls, or moving to .xlsx, so there's
no developer drive to support it

If you do happen to find a couple of little niggles with HSSF and .xlsb,
and would like to contribute patches to allow HSSF to work with both .xls
and .xlsb, we'd be delighted to accept them

Nick

Re: Is POI 3.5 support Microsoft XLSB format?

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.
Current POI developers are interested in other areas - like docx and
pptx.

If you would like to develop support for xlsb, please join the dev-
list, if you ask questions you will get help.

There is a common access model being developed for XSSF (xlsx, xlsm)
and HSSF (xls) if you wanted to undertake the heavy lifting I am sure
that we would gladly consider accepting contributions after POI-3.5-
FINAL is released.

See these web pages -
http://poi.apache.org/howtobuild.html
http://apache.org/licenses/
http://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

Questions? Developers come over to the dev list.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Daniel Noll <da...@nuix.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@jmlafferty.com>.
Hi -

No, and no plans.

It will support XLSX (XSSF) and XLS (HSSF). It looks like
openoffice.org is taking a similar approach and is focused on
importing the XLSX format into their "Calc" document.

If you want XLSB you'll need to have Excel convert an XLSX or XLS to
that format and back.

A quick google shows that some find XLSB to be CPU intensive vs. XML,
but more space efficient.
http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/archives/2007/05/21/the-new-excel-2007-file-format/

Regards,
Dave