Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by al...@dsl.ab.ca on 2002/03/28 19:41:34 UTC

Maven: non-jakarta build use cases

Hi,

  Here is a non-jakarta use case for maven.  These are 'nice to haves'
or points to keep in mind.

Our experience so far:

  maven generated docs are great

  maven testing does not deal with external test data, or improve how
our tests access test data

  maven builds do not create war file, including multiple applets

Overview:
  Create a client server application running over the internet.  The
application provides access to dynamic images.  The application allows
the user to interact with the images and start workflow requests.

Possible design:
  Use servlets to create the dynamic images.  Use applets to provide
interactivity with the images.

Build requirements:
  war file for server
  multiple applets
    html, required 3rd party jars, create minimal jar from our source
    (obfuscation? signing the jar files?)

  provide customized log4j properties files for server and each
applet.

Testing:
  use static input data files, accessed by server
  the expected image output is also stored in files

the test files could be accessed through
  ClassLoader.getSystemResource
  classloader.getResource
  File( System.getProperty )

Current setup:

src/com/pkg1
src/com/pkg2
src/com/etc_test  (stores test data)

classes/com/pkg1
classes/com/pkg1
classes/com/etc_test  (copied here only for tests)

Junit tests access the data files with ClassLoader.getSystemResource().
Works with our build scripts.

I manually copied the etc_test directory to classes/com/etc_test and
ran 'maven:test'.  The tests could not find the data files.

Using 'myClass.class.getClassLoader().getResource()' does find the
data files.

Comments, suggestions welcome.

Alvin.