Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nishaliny Thurairatnam <ni...@foodreg.my> on 2009/04/10 18:55:38 UTC

[users@httpd] Strange compile error for Apache 2.2.11

Hi,

I'm trying to install httpd2.2.11 on a CentOS 5 x86_64. This
installation is to exists as a second apache instance on the server.
I've 2 problems so far:

*First*

My initial configure options were like so:

./configure --prefix=/etc/httpd2 --enable-modules=all
--enable-mods-shared="all cache proxy authn_alias mem_cache file_cache
rewrite" --enable-suexec --enable-ssl --with-mysql --with-apxs
--with-port=80 --with-program-name=httpd2

I have in fact successfully done an installation on another CentOS
server(similar to the above) with these parameters recently. However, on
this server, I get the following configure error (complete logs in
config.log.1, as attached):
/
checking whether to enable mod_auth_digest... checking dependencies
You need APR random support to use mod_auth_digest.
Look at APR configure options --with-egd and --with-devrandom.
checking whether to enable mod_auth_digest... configure: error:
mod_auth_digest has been requested but can not be built due to
prerequisite failures/

I tried to re-configure using first /"--with-egd/", which failed, and
then tried /"--with-devrandom=/dev/urandom", /which also failed miserably.
Then, from the logs, it seemed that configure was looking for apr in a
directory that did not exist(at least from my understanding). In the
specified location, I had a directory called "apr-1", so I created a
softlink called "apr" pointing to "apr-1". That did not make any difference.

After many unsuccessful trials, I decided to switch and try
"/--enable-mods-shared=most"/. That's where the second error came in.

*Second*

My second configure options were like so:

./configure --prefix=/etc/httpd2 --enable-modules=all
--enable-mods-shared="most cache proxy authn_alias mem_cache file_cache
rewrite" --enable-suexec --enable-ssl --with-mysql --with-apxs
--with-port=80 --with-program-name=httpd2

This gave a more interesting error, which was (config.log.2, as attached):
/
checking whether to enable mod_userdir... shared (most)
checking whether to enable mod_alias... shared (most)
checking whether to enable mod_rewrite... shared
configure: error: shared objects have been requested but cannot be built
since mod_so cannot be built

/I have Googled the skies and could not find any workable solution, and
the weird thing is that most of the other people who have previously
encountered this problem, work on BSD's or AIX's or similar. Plus, they
all date way back to year 2002-2003.

It's got to be something that I'm doing wrong, or just missing, BUT I
JUST CAN'T SEE IT!!!

Please, someone, anyone, any thoughts/ideas that might save me?

Thanks a million in advance!

Regards,
Nisha

Re: [users@httpd] Strange compile error for Apache 2.2.11

Posted by Nishaliny Thurairatnam <ni...@foodreg.my>.
Hi again,

So I manage to get my Apache installed in the end. For those who'd like
to know/looking for a similar solution, all I had to do was:

 > yum list apr*,
[list displayed - My versions were slightly older, and there were some
apr-utils that I was missing]

 > yum install apr*
[Installed new packages and updated old ones]

Then everything worked fine.
Thanks.

Regards,
Nisha

Posted by Nishaliny Thurairatnam <ni...@foodreg.my>.
Ok, so I spoke waaay too soon!

Posted by Nishaliny Thurairatnam <ni...@foodreg.my>.
Hi Prasanna,

Thank you for your reply...I'm definitely no Apache expert, but I think
I decided to arrange my configure options this way before, because I'd
read(in the Apache documentation...I think) that --enable-modules=all
doesn't actually enable all modules, and that's why we have to specify a
few of them explicitly.

I tried your suggestions, and I got the same error again :-(

./configure --prefix=/etc/httpd2 --enable-mods-shared="all cache proxy
authn_alias mem_cache file_cache rewrite" --enable-suexec --enable-ssl
--with-mysql --with-apxs --with-apr=/usr/bin/apr-1-config --with-port=80

Posted by Prasanna Ram Venkatachalam <vp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Prasanna Ram Venkatachalam <vp...@gmail.com>.