Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kiran Badi <ki...@poonam.org> on 2012/05/13 00:14:06 UTC

IE 9 ignoring my custom error pages with 404 codes

Hi,

I am trying to setup custom error page and has done below modification
to web.xml

<error-page>
<error-code>500</error-code>
<location>/errorback.jsp</location>
</error-page>
<error-page>
<error-code>404</error-code>
<location>/errorback.jsp</location>

Then in errorback.jsp

I wrote the default hello jsp page and triggered 404 condition to check
if setting are working fine,the above setting seems to be working fine
in chrome/firefox but for some reasons IE is still showing up its own
404 message and aborting the further calls to my 404 page which I styled
it some images and other things.

Now after further investigation, I came across a setting in IE9 where in
there is checkbox to show friendly http error messages, if I turn this
off, I get my error page else I dont get it.

Now I want to show custom error page to my users. Is their any
workaround for this ? Ideally I would have expected IE to deliver what
tomcat serves and in this case custom error page but its not happening
when checkbox is turned on.

Is their any work around for this or I have to accept the whatever IE is
doing ?

Re: IE 9 ignoring my custom error pages with 404 codes

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 12/05/2012 23:14, Kiran Badi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to setup custom error page and has done below modification
> to web.xml
>
> <error-page>
> <error-code>500</error-code>
> <location>/errorback.jsp</location>
> </error-page>
> <error-page>
> <error-code>404</error-code>
> <location>/errorback.jsp</location>
>
> Then in errorback.jsp
>
> I wrote the default hello jsp page and triggered 404 condition to check
> if setting are working fine,the above setting seems to be working fine
> in chrome/firefox but for some reasons IE is still showing up its own
> 404 message and aborting the further calls to my 404 page which I styled
> it some images and other things.
>
> Now after further investigation, I came across a setting in IE9 where in
> there is checkbox to show friendly http error messages, if I turn this
> off, I get my error page else I dont get it.
>
> Now I want to show custom error page to my users. Is their any
> workaround for this ? Ideally I would have expected IE to deliver what
> tomcat serves and in this case custom error page but its not happening
> when checkbox is turned on.
>
> Is their any work around for this or I have to accept the whatever IE is
> doing ?

The trick we used to use: make a larger error page (in terms of file
size) by adding a block of text in an HTML comment.

[key:62590808]

Re: IE 9 ignoring my custom error pages with 404 codes

Posted by Stefan Mayr <st...@mayr-stefan.de>.
Hello,

Am 13.05.2012 00:24, schrieb Konstantin Kolinko:
> 2012/5/13 Kiran Badi<ki...@poonam.org>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to setup custom error page and has done below modification to
>> web.xml
>>
>> <error-page>
>> <error-code>500</error-code>
>> <location>/errorback.jsp</location>
>> </error-page>
>> <error-page>
>> <error-code>404</error-code>
>> <location>/errorback.jsp</location>
>>
>> Then in errorback.jsp
>>
>> I wrote the default hello jsp page and triggered 404 condition to check if
>> setting are working fine,the above setting seems to be working fine in
>> chrome/firefox but for some reasons IE is still showing up its own 404
>> message and aborting the further calls to my 404 page which I styled it some
>> images and other things.
>>
>> Now after further investigation, I came across a setting in IE9 where in
>> there is checkbox to show friendly http error messages, if I turn this off,
>> I get my error page else I dont get it.
>>
>> Now I want to show custom error page to my users. Is their any workaround
>> for this ? Ideally I would have expected IE to deliver what tomcat serves
>> and in this case custom error page but its not happening when checkbox is
>> turned on.
>>
>> Is their any work around for this or I have to accept the whatever IE is
>> doing ?
>
> Ask Microsoft? It is their beast.
>
> I remember seeing someone adding a few KBs of HTML comments into the
> error page, because that suppresses this behaviour of IE.

The usual limit is 512kb for 404 pages (Attention: some people report
this limit also accounts for compressed content).

Eric Law documented some details in his blog post:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2010/08/19/http-error-pages-in-internet-explorer.aspx

He also has details where to find the limits for different error codes
in the registry.

Bye,

   Stefan

Re: IE 9 ignoring my custom error pages with 404 codes

Posted by Kiran Badi <ki...@poonam.org>.
Thanks Troy and Konstantin.Adding couple of HTML comments resolved the
issue.

Posted by Troy <tr...@aol.com>.
Kiran,

Posted by Kiran Badi <ki...@poonam.org>.
Thanks everyone, I added lot of comments and now my custom error page is
close to 1kb and this resolved my issue.

Now I am battling another weird issue,maybe again I need help of
community till I come to some speed.

Re: IE 9 ignoring my custom error pages with 404 codes

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: IE 9 ignoring my custom error pages with 404 codes

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.