Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Mike Crowe <cr...@psilongbeach.com> on 2001/09/20 15:05:56 UTC

New to List and development question

Hello
I am new to this list (short bio at end).  My question concerns
development of SVG to vector graphic translators.  More specifically SVG
to Dxf or SVG to Gerber.  I've been working with a simple SVG to Dxf
translation, but as I grow to understand the limitations of a DXF format
and the power of SVG,  I'm starting to look for something more powerful
(potentially batik) to use as a framework for this translation.  I
started out by using an XSLT, which I was totally lost in, to developing
a Autocat release 14 complient Svg2Dxf.java type code package, to what
now would need to be maybe a release 8 Autocad DXF format (DXF is a
moving target).

Where in batik would be a good jumping off point for developing such a
Transcoder  (ie I should extend superCool.class or impliement
almostThereAbstract.class)?

BIO
For those intersted :-)
My name is Mike Crowe.  I am an electrical engineer living in southern
Mississippi, USA.  I am currently designing microstrip components for
PC boards from 400MHz up to 8400MHz and need to develop a flexable
software package for computer generating these components.  Hence the
interest in SVG, batik and Dxf (which is my target output).  I have been
following XML-FOP for the last year or so and have from time to time
submitted some minor code changes in the SVG portion of that code.

Thanks
Mike

Re: New to List and development question

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vi...@sun.com>.
Mike,

Mike Crowe wrote:

> Hello
> I am new to this list (short bio at end).  My question concerns
> development of SVG to vector graphic translators.  More specifically SVG
> to Dxf or SVG to Gerber.  I've been working with a simple SVG to Dxf
> translation, but as I grow to understand the limitations of a DXF format
> and the power of SVG,  I'm starting to look for something more powerful
> (potentially batik) to use as a framework for this translation.  I
> started out by using an XSLT, which I was totally lost in, to developing
> a Autocat release 14 complient Svg2Dxf.java type code package, to what
> now would need to be maybe a release 8 Autocad DXF format (DXF is a
> moving target).
>
> Where in batik would be a good jumping off point for developing such a
> Transcoder  (ie I should extend superCool.class or impliement
> almostThereAbstract.class)?

You can have a look at the org.apache.batik.transcoder packages.
There are a few SVG -> XXX transcoders (raster formats) and we have
a WMF -> SVG transcoder. The FOP project contains an SVG -> PDF
transcoder (http://xml.apache.org/fop).

Vincent.