Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Mete Kural <me...@touchtonecorp.com> on 2003/05/09 12:19:30 UTC

ActionPortlet front-end controller

Hello all,

Is there interest among the Struts committers in developing a Struts ActionPortlet (or something to that effect) in order to make it easier and more standard to build Struts-based Portlets compliant to the emerging JSR-168 Portlet API. I think Struts would be a good candidate for a web framework in a "portlet" environment as well as it has been in a servlet environment. To enable the making of Struts-based portlets, a class that implements the Portlet interface that acts as the initial entry point of all requests is necessary. The Portlet interface simply extends the Servlet interface and adds portlet-specific functionality (as far as I know, but we wont't fully know until the draft is public). So perhaps developing a class called ActionPortlet that extends ActionServlet could be a possible way to standardize the way Struts-based portlets are to be developed. What do you think?

Regards,
Mete