Posted to dev@polygene.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2017/01/12 14:34:46 UTC

3.0 release

Gang,
now that the name change is behind us, and practically all names have
changed (some still missing in release process), I would like to turn the
attention to a release in the near future.

Since there are still things that we want to change, I would like to make
the following compromise to go forward.

* Polygene Core has practically no incompatible changes in the pipeline as
far as I know.

* Polygene Extensions have several incompatible changes that I would like
to do, both in terms of Serialization as well as the EntityStore SPI. But,
these are relatively hidden from user code, so perhaps we just mark that
the SPIs might change within 3.x and we don't worry about compatibility.

* Polygene Libraries are of varying quality. I suggest that we go through
the list, remove obsolete ones, and update devstatus.xml to better reflect
reality. I think it is more important to Release an incomplete library, but
make sure that the devstatus is accurate which shows up in the
documentation.

With this in mind, we should be able to start release process this month.
And let's aim for  new release with every feature update from then on, i.e.
try to get release process even more streamlined (if possible).

WDYT?

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer
http://polygene.apache.org <http://zest.apache.org> - New Energy for Java

Re: 3.0 release

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <he...@gmail.com>.
Agree with all of that...

Re: 3.0 release

Posted by Paul Merlin <pa...@apache.org>.
Gang,

Yeah we should aim at releasing 3.0 soon.

We still have quite a bunch of in-flight issues we should resolve before
that.
I'm thinking about serialization, integration tests for the yeoman
generated projects and other stuff we have in JIRA.
We also found some discrepancies in the build system due to my recent
rewrite. I need to fix this.
I cannot make any guarantee as to how much time it will take from my
side, busy times. But I will surely make slow regular progress.

We should publish at least one RC out to gather some feedback, there
have been a LOT of changes since 2.1.

Cheers

/Paul

Niclas Hedhman a �crit :