Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2006/06/29 02:42:33 UTC

Re: [Solr Wiki] Update of "SolrUpdate" by BrianLucas

: The following page has been changed by BrianLucas:
: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrUpdate

So now in addition to the Java Update client sitting in Jira, we have some
PHP Update/Query code on the Wiki ... time to start getting serious about
how we want to manage the various client libraries people may/will be
writting in all the various languages they'll be writting them in.

the big issues i wonder about are:
  * testing ... not just unit testing, but basic syntax checking ... is
there a way to automate checks that PHP scripts compile as part of our ant
builds?
  * levels of support ... are there some languages/APIs that we want to
consider part of the "core" and ensure work with any server
changes, and others that are more "contrib"ish?  if so what makes that determination?
  * varient implimetnations ... what if differnet people write/contribute
multiple client APIs for the same language .. do we want to pick one to be
the "official" API for that language?

-Hoss

Re: [Solr Wiki] Update of "SolrUpdate" by BrianLucas

Posted by Dan Scott <de...@gmail.com>.
On 08/03/07, Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 3/2/07, Dan Scott <de...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If the contributor of the current Solr PHP client isn't interested in
> > going through the PEAR process for proposing and contributing a
> > package, and meeting all of the PEAR repository standards, I'll
> > volunteer to write a new client from scratch.
>
> I don't see anything wrong with going for PEAR compliance.
> Brian (Lucas), what do you think?
>
> > After Erik's tutorial at
> > code4lib this week, I feel that I grok Solr sufficiently -- and I have
> > a fair bit of experience with the PEAR process.
>
> What were the PHP people at the code4lib preconference using to talk to Solr?

Heh. Oddly enough, I was hanging out with the Python crowd. I used PHP
hard-coded schema, then used the Java simple client to post the
document and used Solr Flare and a little bit of Python / Django to
run some queries.

Maybe other PHP participants can chime in...

Dan

Re: [Solr Wiki] Update of "SolrUpdate" by BrianLucas

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 3/2/07, Dan Scott <de...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If the contributor of the current Solr PHP client isn't interested in
> going through the PEAR process for proposing and contributing a
> package, and meeting all of the PEAR repository standards, I'll
> volunteer to write a new client from scratch.

I don't see anything wrong with going for PEAR compliance.
Brian (Lucas), what do you think?

> After Erik's tutorial at
> code4lib this week, I feel that I grok Solr sufficiently -- and I have
> a fair bit of experience with the PEAR process.

What were the PHP people at the code4lib preconference using to talk to Solr?

-Yonik

Re: [Solr Wiki] Update of "SolrUpdate" by BrianLucas

Posted by Dan Scott <de...@gmail.com>.
On 08/03/07, Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 3/8/07, Bill Au <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >      I think getting the Solr PHP client into PEAR is a worthwhile effort.
> > And we welcome your contribution towards achieving this goal.
>
> Should it be developed here and installable from PEAR, or are you
> suggesting that development should also be outside the ASF?

The PEAR process is flexible either way -- so if we wanted to keep the
code in Apache SVN and publish the releases at pear.php.net, that's
fine. We might end up having to track bugs (not, of course, that there
would be any - heh) in both Jira and pear.php.net, but that's pretty
easy to manage.

Dan

Re: [Solr Wiki] Update of "SolrUpdate" by BrianLucas

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bill Au <bi...@gmail.com>.
Dan,
     I think getting the Solr PHP client into PEAR is a worthwhile effort.
And we welcome your contribution towards achieving this goal.

Bill

Posted by Dan Scott <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bill Au <bi...@gmail.com>.