Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Brian Kreider <bk...@impactsci.com> on 2002/08/30 00:27:56 UTC

ANT on CD

I have sort of a silly question for you.  I work for a government
contractor doing software development.  The government likes to use
software that is from "trusted" vendors.  So people like Sun, Microsoft,
etc have their pressed CDs that we can buy and the government trusts
that those CDs don't have viruses, Trojans, etc.  We have been using ANT
to build our projects, but we would like to use it at our customer's
sites as well. (We can't use the public web for security reasons...) To
do this, I would need to find a pressed CD of the software.  I know it
seems silly to want to pay for a free product, but the government is
picky about these things.  We had to do this with MySql as well.  So if
you could let me know if there are any vendors that actually sell a
pressed CD with ANT on it, that would be great.

Thank you for your time

Brian Kreider
Impact Science and Technology
720-304-9557

Re: ANT on CD

Posted by Ultra Funkular <fu...@nettaxi.com>.
Even if it's not permitted to sell Apache software, the delivery and
supply of a cd may be charged.  Just like in the good old days of PD.

Right?

Re: ANT on CD

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
And should anyone be caring that the currently merchandised t-shirts via
copyleft have very bad PR due to copyleft seeming to be doing a pretty
poor job of serving customers.

[At least that's the view this potential customer had from viewing the
copyleft sites and all the comment/complaionnts]

Hen

Re: ANT on CD

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Daniel Rall wrote:
> "Andrew C. Oliver" <an...@superlinksoftware.com> writes:
>

>>>You're right, I wasn't clear.
>>>
>>>What I was hinting is that Apache itself could sell CDs or t-shirts
>>>as merchandising...
>>
>>Oooh yucky ....stop using swear words like "m*rchandising" on the lists.
>

> IMHO, this is a very reasonable topic of discussion (though it might
> be better Apache-wide).  The ASF doesn't run for free.   :)

It's because you don't know the reason: Andy just got rich and wants to
support Apache for 20 years, and give money to all of us.

Right, Andy?  :-PPP

On the other hand, Apache is non-profit, so it has to be thought well,
but it's really possible to have a standard Apache mechanish for fund
raising through MERCHANDISING (I have to confess myself now I guess ;-)

Now, since I've heard this thing more than once on different lists, is
ther a way we should move to get MERCHANDISING going?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: ANT on CD

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

--

Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>

Re: ANT on CD

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <an...@superlinksoftware.com>.

Re: ANT on CD

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Re: ANT on CD

Posted by Brian Ewins <Br...@i-documentsystems.com>.
Copyleft already sell Apache t-shirts:
http://www.copyleft.net/item.phtml?&page=product_965_front.phtml

I understand they've given $5000 to the foundation:
http://www.copyleft.net/info_donate.phtml

There's plenty of places (like eg zazzle.com, cafepress.com) that
basically do JIT tshirts, mugs etc from an image you provide with a
(tiny) proportion of the proceeds going to the image creator; theres no
risk to the t-shirt producer as they don't print shirts until they're
ordered. Surely its possible that copyleft could do something like this
for the foundation, with their agreement?

An interesting comment from one of the cafepress customers:
http://www.dancingpaul.com/tshirts/

-Baz

Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

>> It is not only perfectly legal, but also encouraged!
>>
>> The only thing is that you must respect the license, about giving
>> proper credit, not abusing the apache brand, and not blaming apache
>> for any problem you might have.
>>
>> In fact, this is not the first time that I hear such a need, to have
>> Apache software on CD, or to sell Apache merchandise like T-shirts
>> and such.
>>
>> Is there already a system like this in place that I'm ignorant of?
>> Or is this an opportunity for funding?
>>
> T-Shirts would actually not be legal.  That would be using the
> trademark.  You'd have to get foundation permission first.
>
> -Andy

Privacy and Confidentiality Notice

The information contained in this E-Mail message is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed.  Such information is confidential and privileged and no mistake in transmission is intended to waive or compromise such privilege.  If you have received it in error, please destroy it and notify us on the telephone number printed above.  If you do not receive complete and legible copies, please telephone us immediately. Any opinions expressed herein including attachments are those of the author only. i-documentsystems Ltd. does not accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information provided or for any changes to this Email, however made, after it was sent. (Please note that it is your responsibility to scan this message for viruses).

Re: ANT on CD

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <an...@superlinksoftware.com>.

Re: ANT on CD

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Re: ANT on CD

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

RE: ANT on CD

Posted by Brian Kreider <bk...@impactsci.com>.
Actually it wouldn't be selling the software but selling the
distribution of it.  Much the same way Redhat sells the distribution of
Linux.  If you know of a product out there that has ant bundled into the
software that would also solve our problem.

Actually that is the way we got CVS.  Solaris 9 comes with a companion
CD that includes CVS so that covers us there.

If you know of something like that where ant is concerned I would love
to hear about it.

Brian

Re: ANT on CD

Posted by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com>.