Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za> on 2008/06/26 01:49:18 UTC

JPos The Big Deal?

Newbie: Still dangerous ;)

Guys I'm struggling to understand why JPos is even needed.
Just started playing with ofbiz, saw POS module, got excited, rushed out and
got myself a symbol barcode scanner... and I see that when I plug it into
the usb, it behaves just like a keyboard, no driver, no nothing needed. If I
scan whichever and whatever type of of barcode... it reads it.

So I'm wondering what on earth JPos is supposed to do, why do we need it?

I'm thinking that if I rush out and get a printer... the thing is going to
work just like any other printer and will work from word, or notepad, or
swing... so we "just printing".

A terminal post... is probably just going to be a printer as well?
A credit card scanner... probably gives you the number?... like the keyboard
again... or would be completely separate and chat to the bank... and the
person behind the POS just records a credit sale, or something?

So what is JPos really doing for us... its just standard pc stuff?

One could turn Excel into a little POS... no?
I dont get it?
What makes Jpos really needed?

I read that is about standardizing... but a printer is a printer, a scanner
is a keyboard, whats to standardize, its plug and play anyway? What is a
cash drawer... probably print char Esc A to the printer... hardly reason for
a standard? What am I missing?

Thanks....

Re: JPos The Big Deal?

Posted by Branden Strickland <op...@gmail.com>.
Oh, FYI JPOS is an org that does kinda (sorta) what OFBIZ is doing... It's
the software itself.... JavaPOS is just for provideing resources to run the
hardward, and is part of many java based POS packages!

Re: JPos The Big Deal?

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
I think once you under stand the requirements of a POS things maybe more
clear.

Johnny Kewl sent the following on 6/26/2008 11:43 AM:

Re: JPos The Big Deal?

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.

Re: JPos The Big Deal?

Posted by Branden Strickland <op...@gmail.com>.