Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jihwan Kim <ji...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/04 02:10:02 UTC

firstSearcher per SolrCore or JVM?

I am using external file fields with larger external files and I noticed
Solr Core Reload loads external files twice: firstSearcher and nextSearcher
event.

Does it mean the Core Reload triggers both events? What is the
benefit/reason of triggering both events at the same time?   I see this on
V. 4.10.4 and V. 6.2.0 both.

Thanks,

Re: firstSearcher per SolrCore or JVM?

Posted by Jihwan Kim <ji...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Eric.
FirstSearcher and newSearcher events open with two separate searchers.  For
the external file field case at least, the cache created with the
firstSearcher is not being used after the newSearcher creates another cache
(with same values)

I believe the warming is also per searcher.  So, I am still wondering why
two searcher is running during the core reload. (since the cache with the
firstSearcher is not used much)

On V 4.10.4, it seems the main (current) searcher is closed after
newSearcher event.  So, all cache is generated with a new searcher before
accepting a query with the new searcher.

On V. 6.2.0, the main (current) searcher is closed first and then the
newSearcher event is triggered.  So, the first HTTP request with an
external file field needs to wait until the cache is created with the
newSearcher.  In fact, two threads are running and I am not yet sure how
they are synchronised (or not synchronized)

Now sure, if I can attache an image here, but this is response time on V.
6.2.10

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.