Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com> on 2002/05/21 15:28:10 UTC

TIFFRenderer

Hello!

I'm just wondering if fop developers are interested in one more output format
such as TIFF ?
I beleive it's very easy to produce tiff having AWTrenderer. The only  things
one have to do is to extend AWTRenderer, to pick up generated BufferedImages
page by page and to encode them by tiff encoder.
Actually I developed such TIFFRenderer a couple weeks ago in order to get
fax-suitable output from a fop-running system I'm working on now (see
http://www.tkachenko.com/fop/tiffrenderer.html). That stuff was downloaded
couple of dozens times by the people, so I believe some kind of interest among
fop users does exist. btw, size of Batik-dependent version of TIFFRenderer is
only 56 kB.
Well, I do like fop and I'd be glad to contribute that humble piece of code to
the project.

--
Oleg Tkachenko
Multiconn International, Israel

Re: TIFFRenderer

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Implementing a full bitmap renderer without the use of AWT would be a
> major pile of work, I think. But you can always try to use GhostScript
> to convert a PDF/PS to TIFF which should have about the same qualities
> as the PDF. Which method are you using right now?
You mean GhostScript + ImageMagick probably, I have tried that conversion
using JMagick (java clone of ImageMagick) and it worked for me, but I was not
satisfied with a performance, producing pdf and converting it to tiff using 2
native libraries looks worse to me than producing tiff at once. But having
quality as high priority that way is probably more suitable.

RE: TIFFRenderer

Posted by Ralph LaChance <Ra...@compuserve.com>.
At 04:31 PM 5/21/02, you wrote:
>Are the AWTRenderer spacing fixes in a release version of FOP?  If so, which
>version?

No; but my understanding is that it is now committed to cvs - at least
in the maint branch, in what will be the upcoming 0.20.4 maint release.
The change is confined one method (renderWordArea) in
         ...fop.render.awt.AWTRenderer.

         ' Best,
         -Ralph LaChance

Re: TIFFRenderer

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch>.
> Are the AWTRenderer spacing fixes in a release version of FOP?  If so, which
> version?

In the next: 0.20.4. It's already fixed in CVS. Christian has announced
that we can expect a candidate release around June 1st.

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch

OUTLINE AG
Tel. +41 41 317 2020 - Fax +41 41 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch

RE: TIFFRenderer

Posted by Jim Urban <ju...@parkcitysolutions.com>.
Are the AWTRenderer spacing fixes in a release version of FOP?  If so, which
version?

Thanks,

Jim Urban - jurban@parkcitysolutions.com
Park City Solutions Inc.
Clinical Connectivity Suite Product Manager
Suite 295
500 Park Blvd.
Itasca, IL  60143
Voice:  (630) 250-3045 x106
Fax:  (630) 250-3046

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message and any included attachments are from Park City Solutions Inc.
and are intended only for the entity to which it is addressed. The contained
information is confidential and privileged material. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If
you have received this communication in error please notify the sender of
the delivery error by e-mail or call Park City Solutions Inc. corporate
offices at (435) 654-0621

Posted by Ralph LaChance <Ra...@compuserve.com>.

Re: TIFFRenderer

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch>.

Re: TIFFRenderer

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Jim Urban wrote:

> We would be real interested in TIFF rendering from FOP since our application
> includes a fax component.  My only concern is the use of the AWTRenderer.
> Whenever we use the AWTRenderer the output (on screen and print) is not as
> crisp and sharp as the PDF version.  The spacing of letters and words is a
> major issue with the AWTRenderer (as was mentioned in a previous thread).
Yes, that's known AWTRenderer's problem, but proposed TIFFRenderer being
derived from AWTRenderer at least doesn't add any new problems, so we still
have only one :)

--
Oleg Tkachenko
Multiconn International, Israel

RE: TIFFRenderer

I think you're the second one who announced such a TIFF renderer in a
short period of time. Personally, I would like to see a bitmap renderer
in FOP even though I don't have an immediate need myself. I'd like to offer
my sponsorship. If no other committer wants to take it, I'm going to look
at the two submissions as soon as possible and see how best to integrate
one (or a combination of both) into FOP. If someone is against that move,
please speak up.

Here's a link to the other post:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-user&m=101965756701667&w=2

Re: TIFFRenderer