Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org> on 2015/02/13 16:36:38 UTC

[VOTE] Move Lenya to Attic

This is a vote that is open for one week on proposing the following
resolution to the board to move Lenya to the Attic. The resolution text
was taken from: http://attic.apache.org/resolution.html. This direction
was discussed previously on the dev list from Jan 27th to Feb 6th with 4

Terminate the Apache Lenya Project

        WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it no longer in the best
        interest of the Foundation to continue the Apache Lenya project
        due to inactivity

        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the Apache Lenya
        project is hereby terminated; and be it further

        RESOLVED, that the Attic PMC be and hereby is tasked with
        oversight over the software developed by the Apache Lenya
        Project; and be it further

        RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Lenya" is
        hereby terminated; and be it further

        RESOLVED, that the Apache Lenya PMC is hereby terminated.

Re: Last contribution (was : Re: [VOTE] Move Lenya to Attic)

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Florent,

Am 16.02.15 um 12:22 schrieb florent andré:
> This is with a big melancholy that I send my +1 to this vote...
> But the facts are where and we have to move to attic.
>
> As a last contribution to this project I would love that anyone who
> participate to this great CMS and community put a word on what was the
> goods and the bads on :

just some quick points:

> * main design principles

Major goals, derived from our positioning diagram [1]:

* Standards compliance
* Industrial strength (robustness, scalability etc.)
* Flexibility
* Extensibility

Some design principles derived from these goals:

* Design everything thoroughly (orthogonal API etc.)
* Framework approach: Make everything generic and reusable
* Do everything in XML (can be easily validated and processed)
* Ensure data integrity at all times
* Let the framework validate everything (content, links)
* Easy & robust deployment, automatic URL rewriting

 From my point of view, these principles are what makes Lenya stand out
of the crowd. I have worked with quite a few Lenya installations; in all
of them the content (which is the main asset of a CMS installation) was
in very good shape (easy to automatically migrate or process/transform).

> * technological choices

Some things we should have done differently (from my POV):

* Database or JCR for content storage (transactional, indexed)
* Don't use the sitetree XML file (doesn't scale well)
* Index all links for fast link checking
* Access control on the content level (as opposed to URL-based)

> * community and his management

The community was small, but very committed and constructive. I think we
didn't do a bad job managing the community. Maybe we could have tried
harder to build a larger community, but this would have required
lowering the entry barrier, which is not easy without investing quite a
lot of work and without risking to compromise some of the main
principles (see above).

> * ...

> Introduced by a paragraph on the history of Lenya genesis.

A bit of info is on the website [2].

> A kind of collaborative epitaph that give some clues, good and bad ideas
> for open-source CMS software developers.
>
> Concretely we can initiate a .md file in the svn repository, on send
> your words on this thread - I can take care of putting them all together.

Sounds good. We could also consider copying the repo to github, WDYT?

[1] http://lenya.apache.org/index/roadmap.html
[2] http://lenya.apache.org/index/history.html

-- Andreas

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Florent,

Am 16.02.15 um 12:22 schrieb florent andré:
> This is with a big melancholy that I send my +1 to this vote...
> But the facts are where and we have to move to attic.
>
> As a last contribution to this project I would love that anyone who
> participate to this great CMS and community put a word on what was the
> goods and the bads on :

just some quick points:

> * main design principles

Major goals, derived from our positioning diagram [1]:

* Standards compliance
* Industrial strength (robustness, scalability etc.)
* Flexibility
* Extensibility

Some design principles derived from these goals:

* Design everything thoroughly (orthogonal API etc.)
* Framework approach: Make everything generic and reusable
* Do everything in XML (can be easily validated and processed)
* Ensure data integrity at all times
* Let the framework validate everything (content, links)
* Easy & robust deployment, automatic URL rewriting

 From my point of view, these principles are what makes Lenya stand out

Posted by florent andré <fl...@4sengines.com>.
Hi there,

This is with a big melancholy that I send my +1 to this vote...
But the facts are where and we have to move to attic.

As a last contribution to this project I would love that anyone who
participate to this great CMS and community put a word on what was the
goods and the bads on :
* main design principles
* technological choices
* community and his management
* ...

Introduced by a paragraph on the history of Lenya genesis.

A kind of collaborative epitaph that give some clues, good and bad ideas
for open-source CMS software developers.

Concretely we can initiate a .md file in the svn repository, on send
your words on this thread - I can take care of putting them all together.

WDYT ?

++

[RESULT] Re: [VOTE] Move Lenya to Attic

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
The vote has passed. I will be submitting the resolution to the board.

Re: [VOTE] Move Lenya to Attic

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Move Lenya to Attic

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Move Lenya to Attic

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Move Lenya to Attic

Posted by Vik Tara <vi...@techblue.co.uk>.

Re: [VOTE] Move Lenya to Attic

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
-1

I have to admit I am not really showing the commitment for a -1 but ...

We have hardly discussed this vote to begin with. I heart many voice
quoting that we do not use lenya as it right now, me neither. However I
think the idea behind lenya is the awesome community behind it.

Yes, java is not sexy anymore, yes XML hype is over, but as said by Vik
REST is everywhere, so why not refactor?

I am lately off the java stack and full on the node.js route and meeting
lots of new concepts. IMO lenya could get a complete makeover as REST
service, anyway...

Mostly I think we may reconsider seeing that we have still enough PMC
member to vote, so we are fully functional.

Meaning that there is no activities around a project may as well mean
that people are using our project and there are no bugs anymore.

I will remove the -1 if I hear why leny would be better off in the attic?

Anyway I would love to see you all again regardless of the outcome of
this vote!

salu2

Re: [VOTE] Move Lenya to Attic

Posted by florent andré <fl...@4sengines.com>.
+1

(a little and sad one)

Re: [VOTE] Move Lenya to Attic

Posted by Jürgen Ragaller <ra...@apache.org>.
+1

Yes, this is a sad vote - still makes sense to me.
Many people put a lot of work, ideas, enthusiasm into developing Lenya.

I remember the struggles I had to make our first website using Lenya - we used a frequently changing dev-branch of version 2 if I correctly remember and so many concepts were new to me. At first we even tried to edit using BXE (not for long after experiencing some misterious content duplication. Rudolf, you remember that effect don’t you?). The website is still up and running (www.minimax.ch <http://www.minimax.ch/>).

Thanks all of you for all the things I learned about programming and the company at our meetings!

Jürgen

Re: [VOTE] Move Lenya to Attic

Posted by Vik Tara <vi...@techblue.co.uk>.
+1

Lenya was a useful system for us and we had some good commercial
implementations using it.

They're is still one fairly large installation that we maintain, but
since the world became RESTful we
had to move on.

Still - some great lenya meetings (where I probably drank too much!) and
some really good people.

Would be good to see it on github as suggested by Andreas and Florent.

On 17/02/15 19:54, Rudolf Korhummel wrote:
> +1
>
> Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.
> Seneca
>
> Thanks to all of you for the great time !
> WDYT about a funeral meeting ?
>
> Rudolf
>
>> Am 17.02.2015 um 18:52 schrieb Rainer Schöpf <ra...@gmx.net>:
>>

>> +1
>>
>> With regret...
>>
>> I enjoyed working with all of you, and learned a lot.
>>
>>   Rainer
>>
>> On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 at 09:36 -0600, Richard Frovarp wrote:
>>
>>> This is a vote that is open for one week on proposing the following
>>> resolution to the board to move Lenya to the Attic. The resolution text was
>>> taken from: http://attic.apache.org/resolution.html. This direction was
>>> discussed previously on the dev list from Jan 27th to Feb 6th with 4
>>>
>>> Terminate the Apache Lenya Project
>>>
>>>        WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it no longer in the best
>>>        interest of the Foundation to continue the Apache Lenya project
>>>        due to inactivity
>>>
>>>        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the Apache Lenya
>>>        project is hereby terminated; and be it further
>>>
>>>        RESOLVED, that the Attic PMC be and hereby is tasked with
>>>        oversight over the software developed by the Apache Lenya
>>>        Project; and be it further
>>>
>>>        RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Lenya" is
>>>        hereby terminated; and be it further
>>>
>>>        RESOLVED, that the Apache Lenya PMC is hereby terminated.

  *Vik Tara*

Managing Director
Technology Blueprint Ltd

Technology Blueprint Ltd
The Atrium
21/23 Clemens Street Leamington Spa CV31 2DW
T 0845 0047 142 ext. 2000
E vik@techblue.co.uk <ma...@techblue.co.uk>
www.technologyblueprint.co.uk <http://www.technologyblueprint.co.uk>
www.propco.co.uk <http://www.propco.co.uk>

Re: [VOTE] Move Lenya to Attic

Posted by Vik Tara <vi...@techblue.co.uk>.
Why not, just don't let me drink...

Re: [VOTE] Move Lenya to Attic

Posted by florent andré <fl...@4sengines.com>.
me too !

Re: [VOTE] Move Lenya to Attic

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Am 17.02.15 um 20:54 schrieb Rudolf Korhummel:

[…]

> WDYT about a funeral meeting ?

I would be be very happy to participate.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: [VOTE] Move Lenya to Attic

Posted by Rudolf Korhummel <ru...@korhummel.de>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Move Lenya to Attic

Posted by Rainer Schöpf <ra...@gmx.net>.
+1

With regret...

I enjoyed working with all of you, and learned a lot.

  Rainer

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 at 09:36 -0600, Richard Frovarp wrote:

 > This is a vote that is open for one week on proposing the following
 > resolution to the board to move Lenya to the Attic. The resolution text was
 > taken from: http://attic.apache.org/resolution.html. This direction was
 > discussed previously on the dev list from Jan 27th to Feb 6th with 4
 >
 > Terminate the Apache Lenya Project
 >
 >        WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it no longer in the best
 >        interest of the Foundation to continue the Apache Lenya project
 >        due to inactivity
 >
 >        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the Apache Lenya
 >        project is hereby terminated; and be it further
 >
 >        RESOLVED, that the Attic PMC be and hereby is tasked with
 >        oversight over the software developed by the Apache Lenya
 >        Project; and be it further
 >
 >        RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Lenya" is
 >        hereby terminated; and be it further
 >
 >        RESOLVED, that the Apache Lenya PMC is hereby terminated.

   Rainer Schöpf

Antwort: [VOTE] Move Lenya to Attic

Posted by ja...@id.uzh.ch.
+1

of course with mixed feelings :-(

Jann

Re: [VOTE] Move Lenya to Attic

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
+1

I've had a lot of fun working on this project, and I have learned a lot.
Thanks to everybody who contributed!

-- Andreas