Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeroen Kransen <to...@jeroen.kransen.nl> on 2005/02/05 21:42:14 UTC

order of creation of JNDI datasource from context.xml and Filter.init() using it

Hello,

My problem is so basic that I have no doubt other people have
experienced it. Still, I can't find any solutions on the web.

I want Tomcat to provide my webapp with DataSources through JNDI. I want
Hibernate to use these DataSources. Nothing exciting so far. I
configured the BasicDataSourceFactory in the META-INF/context.xml like this:

    <Resource name="jdbc/mydb"
        auth="Container"
        driverClassName="org.postgresql.Driver"
        factory="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory"
        username="*****"
        password="*****"
        type="javax.sql.Datasource"
        url="jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/mywebapp"
        scope="Shareable"
        maxActive="10"
        maxIdle="100"
        maxWait="3000"
    />

In the web.xml I put:

    <filter>
        <filter-name>HibernateSessionFilter</filter-name>

<filter-class>nl.kransen.mywebapp.context.HibernateSessionFilter</filter-class>
    </filter>
    <filter-mapping>
        <filter-name>HibernateSessionFilter</filter-name>
        <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
    </filter-mapping>
    <resource-ref>
        <description>My database</description>
        <res-ref-name>jdbc/mydb</res-ref-name>
        <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
    </resource-ref>

In the hibernate.cfg.xml I make a JNDI reference to the datasource:

<hibernate-configuration>
    <session-factory>
        <property
name="connection.datasource">java:comp/env/jdbc/mydb</property>
        <property
name="dialect">net.sf.hibernate.dialect.PostgreSQLDialect</property>
        <property name="show_sql">true</property>

        <mapping resource="hibernate-mappings/Aap.hbm.xml" />
        <mapping resource="hibernate-mappings/Noot.hbm.xml" />
        <mapping resource="hibernate-mappings/Mies.hbm.xml" />
    </session-factory>
</hibernate-configuration>

Now I created a HibernateSessionFilter that will filter any request to
the webapp and provide it with a Hibernate Session. In the init() the
Hibernate SessionFactory is configured by doing a lookup on JNDI for a
DataSource.

My problem is that Hibernate can't find the JNDI datasource:

17:44:14,745 INFO  [nl.kransen.mywebapp.context.HibernateSessionFilter]
Failed to initialize Hibernate!
net.sf.hibernate.HibernateException: Could not find datasource:
java:comp/env/jdbc/mydb

Instead, I  tried to put the Datasource in the <GlobalNamingResources/>
of the server.xml. In the context.xml I put:

  <ResourceLink name="My Database"
            global="jdbc/mydb"
            type="javax.sql.Datasource" />

The error I get then is:

20:31:09,550 WARN  [net.sf.hibernate.cfg.SettingsFactory] Could not
obtain connection metadata
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC
driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'
        at
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:780)

Instead of initializing the Hibernate SessionFactory in the Filter's
init() method, I do it the first time the doFilter() is called. Then I
get a similar error:

20:42:35,324 DEBUG [net.sf.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter] Cannot
open connection
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC
driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'
        at
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:780)
Caused by: org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create
JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'
        at
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:780)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:540)
        at
net.sf.hibernate.connection.DatasourceConnectionProvider.getConnection(DatasourceConnectionProvider.java:59)
        at
net.sf.hibernate.impl.BatcherImpl.openConnection(BatcherImpl.java:289)
        ... 54 more
        at java.util.StringTokenizer.<init>(StringTokenizer.java:182)
        at org.postgresql.Driver.parseURL(Driver.java:251)
        at org.postgresql.Driver.acceptsURL(Driver.java:159)
        at java.sql.DriverManager.getDriver(DriverManager.java:232)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:773)

What I really want is the first solution with the JNDI datasource
declaration in the webapp context.xml, and preferably initialization of
Hibernate in the init() of the Filter. Is it possible that the reason
that it doesn't work is that the Filter is first created (and its init()
called) BEFORE the DatasourceFactory is created and bound to JNDI? If
that is the case, wouldn't it make more sense to turn that around? After
all, it's the "CONTEXT.xml" :-)

The second and third structures brought me closer, but why does the
Postgresql driver think that URL 'null' was passed, when I put a correct
URL in the config?

I hope anyone can help me.

Jeroen Kransen

Re: order of creation of JNDI datasource from context.xml and Filter.init() using it

Posted by Wouter Boers <wg...@gmail.com>.
The easiest way to add a JNDI datasource is to install the webadmin
and define the datasource not as a global JNDI but 'local' to the
context. This can easily be achieved with the admin application.

I have seen this problem where I defined the global datasource in TC
5.5 and it was not visible via a JNDI lookup. Either you have to do a
lot more configuration or it is a bug. I haven't gotten arround to
investigate this further :(

Wouter

Regards, Wouter Boers
business: http://www.abcdarium.nl
personal: http://www.ikke.net

Re: order of creation of JNDI datasource from context.xml and Filter.init() using it

Posted by Mario Winterer <ma...@eduhi.at>.
Hi Jeroen!

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Try not specifying the "factory" parameter.  It isn't required anyway by
Tomcat-5.5.x.  Tomcat-5.5.x uses its own version of commons-dbcp, so if you
are specifying "org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory", that is
probably not the one that Tomcat wants to use internally.  I think they
wrapped up the package into their own, such as maybe
"org.apache.tomcat.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory" (this may not be
exact, I just know it is something like this), to avoid version collisions
with user-provided commons-dbcp jars.

Jake