Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by san diego <sa...@yahoo.com> on 2006/04/06 13:41:22 UTC

[users@httpd] Problem in sub domain creation

Hello,

 I have a problem creating sub domains in my site. I have followed the
faqs and documentation available on the net.

 One of the sites showed me the following procedure:
 "Everyone has a "www" subdomain (In "www.yourdomain.com", the "www"
part is the subdomain). The www subdomain is created by, and serves files
from, your /htdocs/www directory on the filesystem.

  To add more subdomains, just create new subdirectories in the /htdocs
directory.

  For instance, if you had the domain name mychevycars.com and wanted a
subdomain for Corvettes, then you would just create the directory
/htdocs/corvettes and upload the files in there that you wanted to see at
http://corvettes.mychevycars.com"

 I created a directory called "master" in /htdocs directory and
uploaded my pages into it.Say my domain is called mysite.com, i entered the
url in my browser "http://master.mysite.com"  but it gave me an error url
cannot be found.

 Could you please help me out with this problem. I have some users in
my site. I use php and my sql for all my pages. I want to create sub
domains for all my users as soon as they register for it i.e.,
username.mysite.com so they can have their own pages there.
 Your help will be very much appreciated.
 Thank you.

 Regards,
 Prasanna Venkatraman.

---------------------------------

Re: [users@httpd] Problem in sub domain creation

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 4/6/06, san diego <sa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I have a problem creating sub domains in my site. I have followed the
> faqs and documentation available on the net.

Sounds like you need to start here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/
and then come back if you have more specific questions.

>  One of the sites showed me the following procedure:
>  "Everyone has a "www" subdomain (In "www.yourdomain.com", the "www"
> part is the subdomain). The www subdomain is created by, and serves files
> from, your /htdocs/www directory on the filesystem.

That sounds like the description for a specific hosting company,
rather than for apache in general.  Stuff like that can be implimented
with mod_rewrite or mod_vhost_alias, but it certainly is not the
default configuration.

Joshua.