Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Jeff Pierce <ha...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/13 19:39:00 UTC

Tomcat/Jetspeed Applications Not Restarting after DST Time Change on IBM i (AS/400)

So this issue has been posted on several sites around the net. I understand
why the restart is happening so we don't need to go into that. However,
because we support running our custom Jetspeed portal on several platforms
including the IBM i (AS/400,System i) I am hoping that someone on the
Jetspeed list can help us figure out why our apps don't come back to life
after Tomcat reloads them.  Better yet would be to turn off the reload/scan
completely but more on that below.

Due to a permanent IBM restriction and the manner in which lastModified()
behaves when the system clock on the IBM i is adjusted for DST this causes
the class reload function in Tomcat to start recycling the webapps.
 However, there appears to be some sort of issue occurring that is
preventing the portal and the portal apps from fully recycling and coming
back up.  When you try to access the portal you get the message "Portlet
Application ui-pa not available" is not available.  This is where our log
in occurs.

During the recycle you can see the shutdown of the webapps in the log.  You
can then see the attempt to reload them.  This behavior seems to cycle
through the webapps (portal and different portal apps) a few times then the
webapps are shutdown and not attempted again.  They never get started.

We have done some experimenting with the context reloadable attribute
without luck. Seems a bit odd as well that the reload is happening given
the default value is false for this.

We've also changed the autoDeploy Tomcat option.  Setting to false
prevented the classloader reload from happening.  However that has the
adverse side-effect that our Jetspeed portal apps don't get deployed when
copied to the Jetspeed deploy directory.  They get copied to the webapps
folder but it takes a second Tomcat restart to get them deployed. That
behavior also makes sense but not really an option for us.

Ideally we want the Jetspeed deploy to work on Tomcat startup AND not
reload the webapps or turn off the scanning by Tomcat to avoid the reload
at DST (or any other time).
Deploying our portal apps on Tomcat startup only is fine with us.

I have the logs if that helps.

IBM Restriction Link for those interested:
http://www-912.ibm.com/8625680A007CA5C6/1AC66549A21402188625680B0002037E/E2A352BBB273A5DC86257861005F0595

Thanks

Re: Tomcat/Jetspeed Applications Not Restarting after DST Time Change on IBM i (AS/400)

Posted by Jeff Pierce <ha...@gmail.com>.
Yes, our Jetspeed app is in the webapps directory and fully expanded.

I agree it does appear our our ui (Jetspeed portal) webapp is not getting
re-deployed correctly when Tomcat recycles.  We do not specify any
deployOnStartup property and just take the default which is supposed to be
true.

I will try the Tomcat manager and also turn up the logging to see if
anything shows up.

Thanks.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Pierce <ha...@gmail.com>.