Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org> on 2010/11/19 02:20:43 UTC

Shiro 2.x brainstorming

Don't worry, I personally don't have any desire to start working on a
version 2 anytime soon :)

I just thought it'd be nice to have a 'brainstorming' section on the
wiki where we could jot down any and all ideas that we might want to
address if/when version 2 becomes a reality.  So I created this:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SHIRO/Version+2+Brainstorming

For example, one of my thoughts is that the PrincipalCollection should
really better reflect map semantics, so end-users could look up any
type of Subject principal (e.g. 'user property') via a simple key
lookup.  For example: subject.getPrincipal("username") results in a
String username.  It also allows more power/flexibility when
aggregating user principals across multiple Realms, and we could
support nice things like this in JSP tags:  <shiro:principal
name="username"/>.

Naturally such a change probably wouldn't be backwards compatible when
upgrading to a new minor version, so it should really go into the next
major version.

I figured a wiki space (coupled with good dev list discussion) could
be a good place to record thoughts on any and all things that you'd
like to see added or cleaned up for the next major revision - maybe
you want to fundamentally change certain parts of class hierarchies
for example, or add in a new feature that might not be
backwards-compatible.

Anyway, it's just an idea.  Do you guys have any ideas of what you
might want to change or support?

Les