Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by David Birnbaum <da...@chelsea.net> on 2004/02/25 22:16:41 UTC

Assymetry in learning spam and ham

Oops...wrong list.

----

Howdy,

Just a question.  For learning a message as spam (and reporting it), it
seems like this is adequate:

  $f->report_as_spam( $mail )

However, for ham, it seems like you need to do this:

  $f->init_learner;
  $status = $f->learn( $mail );
  $f->rebuild_learner_caches;
  $f->finish_learner

report_as_spam() implies that it is learnt by Bayes, but I didn't see if
the learn() stuff is happening under the hood.  It also appears the
learn() returns a status object, where report returns nothing terribly
useful.

Is the code in 2.63 doing the right thing?  This is for a persistant
process, so I need to make sure I get it right.

Thanks,

David.

Re: Assymetry in learning spam and ham

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.
On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 04:16:41PM -0500, David Birnbaum wrote:
> Just a question.  For learning a message as spam (and reporting it), it
> seems like this is adequate:
>
>   $f->report_as_spam( $mail )
>
> However, for ham, it seems like you need to do this:
>
>   $f->init_learner;
>   $status = $f->learn( $mail );
>   $f->rebuild_learner_caches;
>   $f->finish_learner
>
> report_as_spam() implies that it is learnt by Bayes, but I didn't see if
> the learn() stuff is happening under the hood.  It also appears the
> learn() returns a status object, where report returns nothing terribly
> useful.

Well, you could in theory call $f->revoke_as_spam($mail) which will
learn the message as ham and then call Razor revoke.  Not sure how
good it is to be calling revoke on all ham however.

Michael