Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Øyvind Harboe <oy...@zylin.com> on 2006/05/31 08:49:30 UTC

Standalone Cayenne Modeler application

One of the appreciated features of Cayenne Modeler is evidently that it
does not require a particular IDE.

It is possible to use Eclipse platform to create a standalone
application that does not require Eclipse.

Such an application generated by Eclipse, but which does not require
Eclipse, is called an Eclipse RCP application.
http://www.eclipse.org/rcp

I think it might be a good idea to develop the Cayenne Modeler as an RCP
application:

Some pros:

- Eclipse RCP applications use SWT instead of Swing. SWT gives a better
  user experience than Swing. IMO this is objectively true(oxymoron :-)

- The same code that goes into the Eclipse plugin can go into
  the standalone Cayenne Modeler.

- The Cayenne modeler can draw on other Eclipse infrastructure as
  relevant(e.g. throw in something from
  http://www.eclipse.org/datatools , XML editors, etc.)

Cons:

- Eclipse RCP applications require SWT. Swing is part of all JRE's.

- There may exist platforms that have a JRE which support Swing, but
  that does not have SWT support that the Cayenne crowd cares about.
  I don't know of any such platforms.

- Cayenne would have to distribute the necessary SWT pieces for, say,
  Mac, Linux & Windows and leave the compilation of the Cayenne Modeler
  for other platforms as an exercise for the user.

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com

RE: Standalone Cayenne Modeler application

Posted by "Gentry, Michael (Contractor)" <mi...@fanniemae.com>.
I'm not certain anything has been decided about a CM replacement yet.  There have been discussions about using NetBeans (Matisse) to create it and also do a plugin type approach.  We also have to be careful about licenses for any tools/JARs we use to create it -- has to be Apache (or compatible).  I don't know the Eclipse RCP license offhand.  I would imagine the new JARs introduced with Matisse would be OK since they will be part of Swing and Java 1.6 (Mustang).

I'm not familiar with Eclipse DTP and don't have time right now to look through it (knee-deep in documentation), but what I'd personally like to see CM grow into is CM + some EOModeler features + DBEdit + a few other new Cayenne-only features.  The database plugins I've seen for Eclipse so far have allowed you to enter some SQL and fetch rows back, but they have no idea of the model/schema.  There is no way for them to follow relationships, etc.  This is a hugely important feature.  So much so that right now I would keep a separate EOModel just to run DBEdit -- it is well worth maintaining two models.  That option doesn't really exist for Windows/Linux users, though.

Obviously CM is very important and this will require a lot more discussion and thought to get it right.  This is a Good Thing!

Thanks,

/dev/mrg

Posted by Øyvind Harboe <oy...@zylin.com>.

Posted by Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com>.
We had bounced around a similar idea not to long ago on this list.  The
general concensus, however, seemed to be that that the NetBeans RCP would
be better for our needs than the Eclipse one.  Right now, I see very
little value in rewriting the entire application any RCP, let alone
switching all to SWT.

--
Kevin