Posted to users@isis.apache.org by Adam Howard <ho...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/27 07:35:13 UTC

AROW viewer now on github

All,

I've put my javascript/desktop/drag-and-drop viewer code on github and
I'm calling the project AROW for A RestfulObjects Workspace.

https://github.com/adamhoward/arow

I hope I've made it easy enough to try out for anyone interested. I've
also updated the demo page.

http://simple-dusk-6870.herokuapp.com/arow-fpc.html

Dan, I found the apacheisisdemo project in your github and cloned it
to try with my viewer. It worked ok but I hadn't built in "contributed
actions" support. I've added that now for single argument methods.

One question on the json viewer implementation though. Is it planned
to support not including repository methods in the json that are
annotated with @NotInServicesMenu? Or is there another way to handle
that? Your model has alot of contributed actions that I see are not
displayed in the html viewer.

Also, if you'd like, I could host the apacheisisdemo app on my heroku account.

Thanks all.
--
Adam Howard

Re: AROW viewer now on github

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
On 2 July 2012 05:48, Adam Howard <ho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Replied inline...
>
> On Jul 1, 2012, at 2:33 PM, Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> >> So, firstly, it looks like @Hidden repositories are still included in
> the
> >> /services representation in the json-viewer (even in trunk as of last
> >> week).
> >
> > In which case, that's an error in the restfulobjects-viewer (nee
> > json-viewer).  I've made a note to fix (unless you fix first!)
>
> I'll try my best :) The html viewer checks
> serviceObjectAdapter.getSpecification().isHidden while it is building
> it's navigation. This method just checks that HiddenFacet is present
> so even marking the service class as @Hidden(When.NEVER) will hide it
> in the html viewer. The restfulobjects viewer would handle this in the
> ListReprRenderer but I think we want something better than just
> checking for the hidden facet. It could be hidden because of
> authorities or some business logic reason. This would also affect any
> other list results (like an actionresult that is a list.) Does
> something like ObjectMember.isVisible(AuthenticationSession,
> ObjectAdapter) exist for whole domain objects?

Good analysis.

The answer is no, there is no such method, other than the one you've
already found - objectAdapter.getSpecification.isHidden().

The reason there is no such method, ie that we only check whether the type
is hidden - is that the Isis programming conventions don't yet define any
imperative method (eg hideInstance()) that is used to determine whether a
particular object instance should be hidden in the UI.  That's not to say
it's a bad idea, just never been required.  If you think that's a good use
case, then raise a JIRA on it.

In the meantime, it does make sense to make the restfulobjects-viewer
similar to the other viewers, ie to call the
objectAdapter.getSpecification().isHidden() method when creating the
services JSON.

> >> And, secondly, is my original question. Can methods annotated
> >> @NotInServicesMenu be excluded from the /services representation but
> still
> >> included as contributed actions?
> >>
> >> Yes, that's certainly the intent of that annotation.  So, I've made a
> note
> > to check this also.
>
> I did some research into the restfulobjects, html, and dnd viewers and
> I don't think any of them respect this annotation. It looks like the
> appropriate course is to make NotInServiceMenuFacet implement
> HidingInteractionAdvisor and return a "hidden reason" string only if
> the object is a service. This change is in the metamodel so it should
> fix it for both the restfulobjects and html viewers. I don't know if
> the dnd viewer checks for hidden actions in the same way. I'll try
> going down this path and you can let me know if that is the wrong
> direction.

Again, good analysis.  That's exactly the correct course of action, and
will solve it for all viewers.

> > You might have noticed that I finished renaming json-viewer to
> > restfulobjects-viewer in the SVN trunk, and that has now been pushed to
> my
> > github.dom/danhaywood/apacheisis repository for your delectation.
>
> Since this is my first git and github project I don't know exactly how
> to manage this. Should I fork your apacheisis repo into my github
> account and then develop against that? Then when I have something
> ready I send you a pull request?

Yup, that's how it works!

You might want to configure your local GIT instance so that it rebases on
pull.  That should make it easier to preserve a linear history in the repo.
 To do that, you can either use:

git pull --rebase

or you can do

git fetch
git rebase

or you can use

git config autosetuprebase always
git config branch.master.rebase true

so that any git pull will automatically be done with the --rebase flag.

> Thanks.
> --
> Adam
> >

> p.s. all of the above is referring to version 0.2.0-incubating of the
> json(restfulobjects) and html viewers, and version 0.1.2-incubating of
> the dnd viewer. I apologize if any or all of these issues have been
> solved in trunk. I'll try them out with the latest code tomorrow.
> Wanted to get this email out to you since it seems like we can only
> have about one discussion a day due to the time difference.

I doubt they have, but no need to apologize... just very happy to have your
time and energy being devoted to Isis/RO!

Cheers
Dan

Re: AROW viewer now on github

Posted by Adam Howard <ho...@gmail.com>.
Replied inline...

Re: AROW viewer now on github

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
belated...

On 28 June 2012 03:09, Adam Howard <ho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Those icons are nice...
>
> I found them on the IconArchive website[1]. They are all under different
> levels of CreativeCommons [2][3].

Thanks - I'll reference them from the icons site.

> >> Also, if you'd like, I could host the apacheisisdemo app on my heroku
> >> account.
>
> ... your Revenue Commisioners project on github[4].

Sorry, had misunderstood.  Yes, would welcome that.  Though it's not a
priority for me.

Re: AROW viewer now on github

Posted by Adam Howard <ho...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan,

Replying inline.

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 2:46 AM, Dan Haywood
<da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> wrote:

> Those icons are nice... always on the lookout for new ones [1] ... are they
> open source?

I found them on the IconArchive website[1]. They are all under different
levels of CreativeCommons [2][3].

>> Also, if you'd like, I could host the apacheisisdemo app on my heroku
>> account.
>>
> Thanks, that might make sense.  Though Mike's server has been very
> reliable, so it's not causing us a problems.

Are you talking about the ToDos demo app? I was referring to your Revenue
Commisioners project on github[4].

>> One question on the json viewer implementation though. Is it planned
>> to support not including repository methods in the json that are
>> annotated with @NotInServicesMenu? Or is there another way to handle
>> that? Your model has alot of contributed actions that I see are not
>> displayed in the html viewer.
>>
> We can certainly support it, though it'll have to be via the "extensions"
> json-prop, probably of one of the domain-types representations.

Couldn't those actions just be excluded from the service's json as if they were
hidden? It seems like that is what the html viewer does…

I just went back to look at the apacheisisdemo and I see that you've annotated
the repository classes as @Hidden (CustomerProfiles) but the methods are not
annotated (profileFor). This must be why the repositories don't show up on the
htmlviewer but the methods are still contributed on the objects of their first
argument. I have some methods that should only be contributed but they are in
repositories that should not be hidden.

So, firstly, it looks like @Hidden repositories are still included in the
/services representation in the json-viewer (even in trunk as of last week).
And, secondly, is my original question. Can methods annotated
@NotInServicesMenu be excluded from the /services representation but still
included as contributed actions?

> More generally, I want to find a way to (a) help you carry on developing
> your viewer, while (b) carry on with the json-viewer and getting it up to
> 1.0.0 of the spec.   Those two are somewhat in conflict - if I commit
> changes that break your viewer, I can that'd be annoying for you (well, I'd
> get annoyed, at any rate).
>
> So, what I'm just doing is creating a github clone of the apache isis
> codebase.  I'll keep this reasonably up-to-date as a read-only copy, and
> then you can, if you want, clone it and do "git pull" as-and-when you are
> ready.  Does that make sense?  At any rate, I'll do that clone this today
> at some point.

I have no notion of AROW being remotely stable until it complies with 1.0.0 of
the RO spec. So any updates you make to the json-viewer just brings me closer
to that goal. As of right now I am still finding plenty to implement working
off of v0.56 of the spec in 0.2.0-incubating. Saying that, I appreciate
all of the support, and thanks for setting up the git repo. This is my first git
project so I still need to learn the best way to work with all of these separate
but related repositories (Apache Isis, AROW, and my sample app).

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 2:51 AM, Dan Haywood
<da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> wrote:
> Also, Adam, just to let you know... there's a discussion over on
> RestfulObjects.NET site [1] asking about RO clients.    I've posted a link
> to this thread over there.

Thanks. I'll go introduce myself over there.

--
Adam Howard

[1] http://www.iconarchive.com/
[2] http://www.iconarchive.com/show/construction-icons-by-proycontec/document-construction-icon.html
[3] http://www.iconarchive.com/show/finance-icons-by-visualpharm.html
[4] https://github.com/danhaywood/apacheisisdemo

Re: AROW viewer now on github

Posted by Adam Howard <ho...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan,

Re: AROW viewer now on github

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
On 27 June 2012 08:46, Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> wrote:

> So, what I'm just doing is creating a github clone of the apache isis
> codebase.  I'll keep this reasonably up-to-date as a read-only copy, and
> then you can, if you want, clone it and do "git pull" as-and-when you are
> ready.  Does that make sense?  At any rate, I'll do that clone this today
> at some point.

OK, there's now a copy of Apache Isis up on my github account.  I'll aim to
keep this reasonably up-to-date.

This means that:
a) I can start making changes on SVN trunk to the restful viewer,
b) I'll push them to github
c) you can take a copy of this clone
d) you can do a "git pull" as and when suits you (and easily roll back to
earlier commits if you need to).

Cheers
Dan

Re: AROW viewer now on github

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.

Re: AROW viewer now on github

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.
On 27 June 2012 06:35, Adam Howard <ho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I've put my javascript/desktop/drag-and-drop viewer code on github and
> I'm calling the project AROW for A RestfulObjects Workspace.
>
> https://github.com/adamhoward/arow
>
> I hope I've made it easy enough to try out for anyone interested. I've
> also updated the demo page.
>
> http://simple-dusk-6870.herokuapp.com/arow-fpc.html

Very nice work, coming along nicely.

Those icons are nice... always on the lookout for new ones [1] ... are they
open source?

> Dan, I found the apacheisisdemo project in your github and cloned it
> to try with my viewer. It worked ok but I hadn't built in "contributed
> actions" support. I've added that now for single argument methods.
>
> One question on the json viewer implementation though. Is it planned
> to support not including repository methods in the json that are
> annotated with @NotInServicesMenu? Or is there another way to handle
> that? Your model has alot of contributed actions that I see are not
> displayed in the html viewer.

We can certainly support it, though it'll have to be via the "extensions"
json-prop, probably of one of the domain-types representations.

More generally, I want to find a way to (a) help you carry on developing
your viewer, while (b) carry on with the json-viewer and getting it up to
1.0.0 of the spec.   Those two are somewhat in conflict - if I commit
changes that break your viewer, I can that'd be annoying for you (well, I'd
get annoyed, at any rate).

So, what I'm just doing is creating a github clone of the apache isis
codebase.  I'll keep this reasonably up-to-date as a read-only copy, and
then you can, if you want, clone it and do "git pull" as-and-when you are
ready.  Does that make sense?  At any rate, I'll do that clone this today
at some point.

> Also, if you'd like, I could host the apacheisisdemo app on my heroku
> account.

Thanks, that might make sense.  Though Mike's server has been very
reliable, so it's not causing us a problems.

I've been playing around with cloudbees, which is also very good... is a
"Jenkins in the sky", along with a deployment architecture based on EC2.
I'm considering setting up a semi-official account there for the
apache-isis team (obviously, I'll start a separate thread and discussion on
that).

> Thanks all.
> --
> Adam Howard

Thanks for all your hard work, really great to see.

Cheers
Dan

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/isis/icons.html

Re: AROW viewer now on github