Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> on 2003/09/09 01:27:10 UTC

Mixed-namespace support (Re: cvs commit: ...)

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 01:48:15PM -0000, nicolaken@apache.org wrote:
> nicolaken    2003/09/08 06:48:15
>
>   Modified:    .        status.xml
>                src/resources/fresh-site/src/documentation/content/xdocs
>                         site.xml
>                src/resources/fresh-site forrest.properties
>                src/resources/skins/common/xslt/html document2html.xsl
>   Added:       src/resources/fresh-site/src/documentation/content/xdocs/samples
>                         multiple-namespaces.xml html-sample.html
>   Log:
>         <action dev="NKB" type="add" context="skins">
>           In the common skin and derivatives, allow xhtml-namespaced elements in
>           document elements to passthrough when rendering to html.
>           Added also example in the forrest seed (fresh-site).
>         </action>
>   -#forrest.validate.xdocs.excludes=site.xml
>   +forrest.validate.xdocs.excludes=site.xml,samples/multiple-namespaces.xml

Does all this stuff (and @class) *have* to happen a few hours before 0.5
gets released?  Couldn't it wait 24 hours for 0.6, when we have a decent
multi-namespace validation system[1] in place?

Same for @class attributes -- I don't care whether it's good or bad; I
don't want to even consider it for 0.5.  We can do a 0.5.1 any time.

--Jeff

Re: Stability and releases (Re: Mixed-namespace support)

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com>.
Jeff,

Jeff Turner wrote:
> When judging stability, what matters are the *contracts* between the
> software and the user.

And the libraries used by the product. If in the hurried applied to
released 2.1.1 there is a bug that affects us (say excalibur-event) we
will have to release a hotfix, new version.

what would the users think? "Hey! it took them 7 months to release and
when they did it, they did without test it propertly"

>>I will forward a vote so we let everyone to decide for us, is that ok?
>

> I'm -1 on releasing CVS as-is, as adding *.html and half-assed namespace
> support *does* affect user contracts.  What I'd like to do is branch CVS
> before the *.html patch and make a 0.5 branch of uncontroversial stuff,
> and vote on the release of that.

I have not mention that because Nicola agreded to revert it, and I just
want to agreed on a date.

Cheers,
cheche

Stability and releases (Re: Mixed-namespace support)

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 01:57:15PM +0200, Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> >>I personally thought that we were going to let a bit more time to test
> >>forrest with cocoon 2.1.1 (2 weeks).
> >

> >Why bother?  We'll get a lot more testers by releasing 0.5 now and
> >releasing 0.5.1 if we discover any bugs in Cocoon.
> >

> After 7 months people expect some kind of stability

When judging stability, what matters are the *contracts* between the
software and the user.  Those contracts were set when Cocoon 2.1.1 was
released, and Forrest's own contracts have been stable for months.  The
existence of bugs on top of this contract is irrelevant.  Look at Cocoon
- they have hundreds of issues and unapplied patches in bugzilla, but
they still do releases.

Re: Mixed-namespace support (Re: cvs commit: ...)

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com>.
Jeff,

>>I personally thought that we were going to let a bit more time to test
>>forrest with cocoon 2.1.1 (2 weeks).
>

> Why bother?  We'll get a lot more testers by releasing 0.5 now and
> releasing 0.5.1 if we discover any bugs in Cocoon.

After 7 months people expect some kind of stability, I will forward a

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 02:54:18AM +0200, Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> I personally thought that we were going to let a bit more time to test
> forrest with cocoon 2.1.1 (2 weeks).

Why bother?  We'll get a lot more testers by releasing 0.5 now and
releasing 0.5.1 if we discover any bugs in Cocoon.

> But for some reason you want to release this ASAP, that is ok, but given
> that people hurried to commit stuff, can we delay this release for
> Wednesday?

Looks like it.

--Jeff

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com>.
Jeff,

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 01:48:15PM -0000, nicolaken@apache.org wrote:
>
>>nicolaken    2003/09/08 06:48:15
>>
>>  Modified:    .        status.xml
>>               src/resources/fresh-site/src/documentation/content/xdocs
>>                        site.xml
>>               src/resources/fresh-site forrest.properties
>>               src/resources/skins/common/xslt/html document2html.xsl
>>  Added:       src/resources/fresh-site/src/documentation/content/xdocs/samples
>>                        multiple-namespaces.xml html-sample.html
>>  Log:
>>        <action dev="NKB" type="add" context="skins">
>>          In the common skin and derivatives, allow xhtml-namespaced elements in
>>          document elements to passthrough when rendering to html.
>>          Added also example in the forrest seed (fresh-site).
>>        </action>

>>  -#forrest.validate.xdocs.excludes=site.xml
>>  +forrest.validate.xdocs.excludes=site.xml,samples/multiple-namespaces.xml
>
> Does all this stuff (and @class) *have* to happen a few hours before 0.5
> gets released?  Couldn't it wait 24 hours for 0.6, when we have a decent
> multi-namespace validation system[1] in place?

Feel free to revert. Since nobody objected to Juan Jose's proposal of 2
weeks wait after Cocoon release, I kept to that.

> Same for @class attributes -- I don't care whether it's good or bad; I
> don't want to even consider it for 0.5.  We can do a 0.5.1 any time.

np.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -