Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Murtaza Doctor <mu...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/19 02:50:41 UTC

Issue: Max block location exceeded for split error when running hive

Folks,

Any one run into this issue before:
java.io.IOException: Max block location exceeded for split: Paths:
"/foo/bar...."
InputFormatClass: org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TextInputFormat
splitsize: 15 maxsize: 10
at
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.split.JobSplitWriter.writeOldSplits(JobSplitWriter.java:162)
at
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.split.JobSplitWriter.createSplitFiles(JobSplitWriter.java:87)
at
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.JobSubmitter.writeOldSplits(JobSubmitter.java:501)
at
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.JobSubmitter.writeSplits(JobSubmitter.java:471)
at
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.JobSubmitter.submitJobInternal(JobSubmitter.java:366)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Job$11.run(Job.java:1269)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Job$11.run(Job.java:1266)
at
org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1408)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Job.submit(Job.java:1266)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient$1.run(JobClient.java:606)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient$1.run(JobClient.java:601)
at
org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1408)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.submitJobInternal(JobClient.java:601)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.submitJob(JobClient.java:586)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.ExecDriver.execute(ExecDriver.java:447)

When we set the property to something higher as suggested like:
mapreduce.job.max.split.locations = more than on what it failed
then the job runs successfully.

I am trying to dig up additional documentation on this since the default
seems to be 10, not sure how that limit was set.
Additionally what is the recommended value and what factors does it depend
on?

We are running YARN, the actual query is Hive on CDH 4.3, with Hive version
0.10

Any pointers in this direction will be helpful.

Regards,
md

Re: Issue: Max block location exceeded for split error when running hive

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Are you using a CombineFileInputFormat or similar input format then, perhaps?

--
Harsh J

Re: Issue: Max block location exceeded for split error when running hive

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Issue: Max block location exceeded for split error when running hive

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Issue: Max block location exceeded for split error when running hive

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Issue: Max block location exceeded for split error when running hive

Posted by Murtaza Doctor <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Davies <ma...@mattdavies.net>.
Thanks Rahul. Our ops people have implemented the config change.

Posted by Matt Davies <ma...@mattdavies.net>.

Posted by Matt Davies <ma...@mattdavies.net>.

Posted by Matt Davies <ma...@mattdavies.net>.

Posted by Rahul Jain <rj...@gmail.com>.
Matt,

Posted by Rahul Jain <rj...@gmail.com>.
Matt,

Posted by Rahul Jain <rj...@gmail.com>.
Matt,

Posted by Rahul Jain <rj...@gmail.com>.
Matt,

Posted by Matt Davies <ma...@mattdavies.net>.

Posted by Matt Davies <ma...@mattdavies.net>.

Posted by Matt Davies <ma...@mattdavies.net>.

Posted by Matt Davies <ma...@mattdavies.net>.

Posted by Rahul Jain <rj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Jain <rj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Jain <rj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Jain <rj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Murtaza Doctor <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Murtaza Doctor <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Murtaza Doctor <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Murtaza Doctor <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Murtaza Doctor <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Murtaza Doctor <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Murtaza Doctor <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Issue: Max block location exceeded for split error when running hive

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Issue: Max block location exceeded for split error when running hive

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Issue: Max block location exceeded for split error when running hive

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J