Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Uhlig, Roman Knuepfer Verlag" <ro...@knve.de> on 2007/06/19 14:08:47 UTC

Windows client authentication at plain Linux svn server

After reading the subversion book, FAQ and other docs I still have a
problem related with a particular way of authentication. This is the
setup:

- Subversion server is running as a daemon on Linux
- SVN clients (Subclipse and TortoiseSVN) are running on several Windows
machines
- Linux and WIndows machines are running in a safe intranet, so there is
no need for ssh or apache

So I'd like to authenticate with Subclipse/TortoiseSVN at the plain
Subversion daemon. I configured all the appropriate files in a test
repository (authz/passwd/svnserve.conf). I have disabled anonymous
access and set authorized access to read/write.

What now happens both with Subclipse and TortoiseSVN is, that these
clients always respond with an "Authorization failed" message and
_dont_even_try_ to give the user the chance to authorize. I have checked
the client options both for Subclipse and TortoiseSVN, and both dont
offer any configuration options regarding this.

May anyone point me in the right direction, cause rigth now I dont have
the slightest idea how to force the clients to authorize with the
subversion server. Or is it not possible to authorize with windows
clients at a subversion standalone linux server running as daemon?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Roman

Re: Windows client authentication at plain Linux svn server

Posted by Thomas Harold <tg...@tgharold.com>.
Uhlig, Roman Knuepfer Verlag wrote:
> After reading the subversion book, FAQ and other docs I still have a
> problem related with a particular way of authentication. This is the
> setup:
>
> - Subversion server is running as a daemon on Linux
> - SVN clients (Subclipse and TortoiseSVN) are running on several Windows
> machines
> - Linux and WIndows machines are running in a safe intranet, so there is
> no need for ssh or apache

One reason to use SSH - the ability to port-forward from the firewall to
the SSH server on the SVN box.  Allowing you to get access to the SVN
repository from outside without dealing with VPNs.  If you never do
development work while on the road (i.e. no laptop users), then it may
not matter.

(SSH authentication is pretty simple if you're already running a Linux
server.  I'll admit that I'm also a bit gung-ho about using SSH as
opposed to the other methods.)