Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2016/11/03 19:47:53 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Geode (incubating) as a TLP

Hi!

with the 1.0.0-incubating release officially out (huge kudos
to the team!) there's an overwhelming sentiment among
the Apache Geode community and its mentors that
it is time to consider graduation to the TLP:
    http://markmail.org/message/y5jcaoykchttloyr

Apache Geode entered incubation in April last year and
since then it has demonstrated an outstanding willingness
to be an inclusive, welcoming community that is not afraid
to work through some really thorny technical challenges
(like refactoring the core of the system to get rid of LGPL
dependency) with exemplary understanding of the Apache Way.
The PPMC has demonstrated a good understanding of growing
the community by electing 6 individuals as committers and
PPMC members since last year. In terms of mastering the rules
of IP governance the community has produced 4 releases
(together with binary convenience artifacts) demonstrating their
understanding of ASF's IP policies.

All in all, I'm sure I'll echo my fellow Geode mentors (CCed)
when I say that from our perspective this project has been
conducting itself as a true TLP and it we should recognize this
fact by formally awarding it such a status. This thread, of course,
is mean to open up the very same discussion that we had
among the mentors and Geode community to the rest of the IPMC.
It is a DISCUSS thread so feel free to ask questions/probe, etc.

To get you all going, here's a few data points than may help:

Project status:
 http://incubator.apache.org/projects/geode.html

Project website:
  http://geode.incubator.apache.org/

Project documentation:
   http://geode.incubator.apache.org/docs/guide/about_geode.html
   http://geode.incubator.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/index.html

Maturity assessment:
 https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Geode+Podling+Maturity+Assessment

DRAFT of the board resolution is at the bottom of this email

Proposed PMC size: 30 members

Total number of committers: 74 members

PMC affiliation (* indicated chair)
   Ampool (2)
   EPAM Systems (1)
   General Motors (1)
 * Kollective Technology (1)
   Microsoft (1)
   Pivotal (22)
   Silver Spring Networks (1)
   Newedge (1)

2734 commits on develop
269 PR”s on GitHub
92 contributors across all branches

dev list averaged ~650 msgs/month in 2016
user list averaged ~90 msgs/month in 2016
267 unique posters

1900 issues created
1230 issues resolved

committer affiliations
    active
          pivotal.io
          kollective.com
          ampool.io
          silverspringnet.com

     occasional
          snappydata.io
          newrelic.com
          google.com
          microsoft.com
          weave.works
          elastic.co
          dell.com
          vmware.com
          brsg.io
          cobaltdigital.marketing
          cdkglobal.com
          dev9.com

Thanks,
Roman (with my official Geode mentor hat on).

Resolution:

Establish the Apache Geode Project

open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the
public, related to a data management platform that provides
real-time, consistent access to data-intensive applications
throughout widely distributed cloud architectures.

Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Geode Project",
Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Geode Project be and hereby is
related to a data management platform that provides real-time,
consistent access to data-intensive applications throughout
widely distributed cloud architectures.

RESOLVED, that thident, Apache Geode" be
and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
of the Apache Geode Project, and to have primary responsibility
for management of the projects within the scope of
responsibility of the Apache Geode Project; and be it further

Apache Geode Project:

* Anilkumar Gingade <ag...@apache.org>
* Anthony Baker <ab...@apache.org>
* Ashvin Agrawal <as...@apache.org>
* Avinash Dongre <ad...@apache.org>
* Barry Oglesby < boglesby@apache.org>
* Bruce Schuchardt <bs...@apache.org>
* Dan Smith <up...@apache.org>
* Darrel Schneider <ds...@apache.org>
* Dave Barnes <db...@apache.org>
* Eric Shu <es...@apache.org>
* Greg Chase <gr...@apache.org>
* Hitesh Khamesra <hi...@apache.org>
* Jason Huynh <ja...@apache.org>
* Jens Deppe <je...@apache.org>
* Jianxia Chen <jc...@apache.org>
* Jinmei Liao <ji...@apache.org>
* John Blum <jx...@apache.org>
* Karen Miller <km...@apache.org>
* Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>
* Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org>
* Mark Bretl <mb...@apache.org>
* Nabarun Nag <nn...@apache.org>
* Niall Pemberton <ni...@apache.org>
* Nitin Lamba <nl...@apache.org>
* Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>
* Sai Boorlagadda <sa...@apache.org>
* Swapnil Bawaskar <sb...@apache.org>
* Udo Kohlmeyer <ud...@apache.org>
* William Markito <ma...@apache.org>
* Xiaojian Zhou <zh...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Mark Bretl
be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Geode, to
serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Geode PMC be and hereby is
tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
encourage open development and increased participation in the
Apache Geode Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Geode Project be and hereby
is tasked with the miization of the Apache
Incubator Geode podling; and be it further

Incubator Geode podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
Project are hereafter discharged.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Geode (incubating) as a TLP

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Second last RESOLVED; "miization" ??

Other than that; +1 (non-binding)

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 3:47 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> * Xiaojian Zhou <zh...@apache.org>
>
> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Mark Bretl
> be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Geode, to
> serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
> Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
> death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
> or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Geode PMC be and hereby is
> tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
> encourage open development and increased participation in the
> Apache Geode Project; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the Apache Geode Project be and hereby
> is tasked with the miization of the Apache
> Incubator Geode podling; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
> Incubator Geode podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator

Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache Geode (incubating) as a TLP

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
I believe they are ready.

+1

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 04/11/2016 13:36, Anthony Baker wrote:
> Thanks, updated with notes on RE50.

Excellent. Tx.

Mark

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
After seeing the PPMC respond quickly and sensibly to issues I identified
without push back, I'd be happy to see them graduate.  (I'm also really
anxious to drive down our podling count)

John

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Roman,

> [...]

> * Xiaojian Zhou <zh...@apache.org>
>
> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Mark Bretl
> be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Geode, to
> serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
> Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
> death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
> or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Geode PMC be and hereby is
> tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
> encourage open development and increased participation in the
> Apache Geode Project; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the Apache Geode Project be and hereby
> is tasked with the miization of the Apache
> Incubator Geode podling; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
> Incubator Geode podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator

Jean-Baptiste Onofr�
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com